Reply To: Meta-awareness training aka mindfulness

#5320 Score: 0

Kalkin
Participant
6 votes
@kalkin

Namaste Christophe. The Divine within me pays its respects to the Divine within you. I’m addressing you with this reply:

Already, I’m limited in my understanding and the time I have in the day to read all the books.

I understand. If you feel like your schedule is imposed on you, rather than you being the master of your own allocation of your time on earth, that’s a problem. You need to get into the habit of making your own choices, including potentially “hard” choices that involve weighing real costs against real benefits.

If you are in college (guessing from your profile pic), you probably have a heavy load of studying. Just make sure that whatever you are doing will contribute to your own personal goals, and not just fulfilling someone else’s expectations of you. Right now, unemployment levels are high among new graduates here in the USA where I am, and I know they are high in some parts of Europe. You might reasonably wonder what the outcome of the efforts you are putting in now will be, and how they can be optimized with choices and if appropriate, changes you make now.

Traditionally the way that esoteric traditions were passed along was through training in a temple. It was not necessarily set up to be efficient, and recruits were typically put to task for years before they actually got any real training (wink). Nowadays we have a lot more resources available, but it still helps to seek out other practitioners for help and encouragement.

I concur with Aurora’s suggestion to look for something like a local (Hatha) yoga class, and I suggest following up sessions with say 10-20 minutes of meditation. Instructions for how to meditate are ubiquitous, though as I am discovering there are a few subtleties involved. Don’t worry about that to begin.

Hatha Yoga can be surprisingly vigorous despite the relatively slow movement between poses (asana). That’s because the poses are designed to put various muscle groups in tension. While you are doing it, keep your mind focused on what you are doing, and how the experience feels.

But what’s the benefit of meditation? Teachers of some esoteric traditions don’t want me to tell you, because you’re supposed to figure it out yourself. The analogy is that if you are colorblind, no amount of talking about the color red will explain to you what “red” is; you have to experience it for yourself. But talking doesn’t hurt, so I talk, especially since if no one explains anything to you, then you don’t have any motive to agree to this. There are a number of benefits of meditation, including the ones that you read about in this thread.

The most immediate benefit is calming down your neurology. Have you ever met someone said to be “neurotic”? They over-react to their experiences? They turn small problems into big problems? We’re all a little bit neurotic–it’s just a matter of degree! Meditation can prevent or cure that. It can increase something called “equanimity”, whereby you don’t over-react to your problems, but stay calm and rational as you deal with them. This is a blessing for dealing with everyday problems, and particularly big ones too.

It can also lead to certain mystical experiences, but those are the ones you have to figure out for yourself. The short answer is that you really are the whole Kosmos looking back on itself from a particular perspective, but actually internalizing that sense is not something I can just tell you.

Does that help?

X