Reply To: Authors Ask: Your View on the Origin of the Universe?

////Reply To: Authors Ask: Your View on the Origin of the Universe?
#6247 Score: 1

Robin
Participant
51 votes
@robin

Dear Deepak and Menas,
Having read Chapter One, I am still confused about what happened “before” the Big Bang, where our universe was born. Admittedly, there was no “before,” and there could be no “where” since our universe can only exist in time and space, outside of which there is nothing. But Consciousness (or God, Source, Ein Sof, etc.) that is everywhere at all times could be the steady state that breathes universes into being, no?

I think of the Creation Myth by the Ari (Isaac Ben Luria), a Jewish mystic in the 16th century, who believed that God filled the Universe, but God was lonely. So God inhaled to contract, to make room for the Universe, and in that contraction, left darkness. And into that darkness, God sent vessels of light igniting the creation of the Universe, but they were fragile and shattered (and here, we see, interestingly, God has the capacity to err!)

It seems that God’s “inhale” leaving darkness and the emergence of light are metaphorical expressions of what we now call the Big Bang.

And they result from a contraction, or separation, from the One-ness—which would seem to then be present outside of time and space that portends igniting our Universe (and perhaps many others).

So the original state (and steady state?), in this view, would seem to be Consciousness-outside of time and space and omnipresent, of which we are a part (or from which we are apart?). Is that consistent with the view of #YATU? And do you believe, like the myth of the Ari, that humanity’s job is to gather the sparks in the act of repairing the world (Tikkun Olam) – in which we might again be unified with the One and each other?

I think the creation stories are extremely powerful ways for us to relate to the abstract quantum descriptions that are invisible and inaccessible to those of us without a quantum physics background. The Tao story from @paul is also a very poetic way to tap into the qualia of human experience, that seems entirely consistent with the Ari’s story, because this is how human’s can attempt to see what is ultimately ineffable.

This post has received 1 vote up.
X