Reply To: How We Create Our Experience of Time and Why It Matters

#6372 Score: 2

Robin
Participant
51 votes
@robin

Thanks for inviting me into this discussion (too), Aurora. As you know, I have written the teen time travel adventure, Edge of Yesterday, so time is always on my mind! For me, the perception of time and its passing works on a multitude of levels. When I first started writing the novel in 1997, my goal was to make the experience of time travel by my girl protagonist, Charley, as realistic as possible, even knowing that in the material world, time travel to the past is theoretically not (yet) possible. Charley’s goal was to build Leonardo da Vinci’s design for a time machine for the middle school science fair to meet Leonardo in person and get back “in time” to win the school science fair.

Charley and I got stuck on the physics. So I put the story away until 2012 when the confirmation of the Higgs boson, neutrinos and the ubiquity of the computer tablet theoretically made the idea of travel to the past and communication between past and present possible (taking into account the paradox that one could not travel back to a time that had already happened–so here we incorporated the notion of the multiverse. And in the end of this process–20 years later!–it is really the imagination and a lot of research that has made time travel possible for Charley and me both, and leads me to the understanding that past, present and future are all here in the Now.

So I agree that time is endless and what we make of it! I envision it this way: when you are on a riverbank, you can watch the waters rush by–and all you see is one view of the scene with waters passing. From the vantage point of As Leonardo himself said, “In rivers, the water that you touch is the last of what has passed and the first of that which comes; so with present time.”

That said, I have been stretching time all weekend to enjoy the Memorial Day weekend with friends and family instead of working on a big deadline. As for working, there is no time like the present!

This post has received 2 votes up.
X