Are You Comfortable with Qualia?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Menas Kafatos 4 years ago.

• Author

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

Are you familiar with the term “qualia”?

In this video I am explaining the concept, reading a few passages from You Are the Universe, specifically the chapter “Getting Comfortable with Qualia”, and discussing how you can use this knowledge in your life.

Let me know what you think!

Love,
    Deepak

This post has received 2 votes up.
  • #4650 Score: 1

Charan Surdhar
    Participant
    1 vote
    @charan-surdhar

Can it be that we carry qualia of our ancestors traumas? And that those qualia influence and colour our present qualia? And as we come into presence of what we experience moment to moment that we then can not only heal ourselves but our ancestors too. I ask because this is the work that I do with my clients to help them realign to their wholeness and it is what I experience as they become present to what is showing up. And in this space it changes our gene expression to align with our truth/wholeness. Would love to hear your thoughts on this Deepak.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    • #4730 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Charan, letting you know that Deepak has answered your question! You can watch his video-answer HERE.

• #4651 Score: 1

joanne cooper28
    Participant
    20 votes
    @joanne-cooper28

While Deepak is teaching us more about qualia, I’d like to attempt to voice my thoughts back to #YATU 🙂 I think that when you bring your consciousness to the now you learn to tune into your sensory perception as a whole system working together as one. Could that be a simplistic explanation of qualia?

• #4694 Score: 1

Deepak Chopra
      60 votes
      @deepakchopra

Dear Joanne, I have answered your question today, check it out HERE and let me know what you think!
      Love,
      Deepak

• #4658 Score: 2

Kent Van Cleave
    Participant
    6 votes
    @kent-van-cleave

I am experiencing a duality about qualia. On the one hand, I have long been a practitioner of “be here, now.” Being in the moment does enhance one’s life experience, and one’s ability to connect with others. It also helps us escape having our reality be filtered through the perceptual filters of our experience, wishes, and expectancies.

On the other hand, the discussion of qualia reminds me of the introspectionists who started the science of psychology. Trained to observe their own thought processes and feelings, and report on them, introspectionists generated masses of observations from which very little could be ascertained. Ultimately, psychology rejected introspection as unscientific. This led to the emergence of behaviorism, which was the ruling paradigm of psychology for half a century, and which simply denied unobservable, internal processes. Only in the last 40 years has behaviorism given way to a psychological paradigm, cognitivism, which acknowledges those unobservables.

Just as introspection changed thought processes, the observation of qualia must change qualia. (Schrodinger’s cat must be chuckling over this.) My thought is that we must not observe qualia, but strip away as many filters of awareness as we can and then simply be here, now.

This post has received 2 votes up.
    • #5378 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
      41 votes
      @menask

Dear @kent-van-cleave

Absolutely! Observation of qualia changes the experience of qualia! You are right. It is OK to observe qualia. But as you say, it is important to realize that qualia are the building blocks of the experiencing Awareness, what makes the Universe operate. We co-create the Universe. But it is the underlying Awareness that is the source of all qualia.

Best,
      Menas

• #4696 Score: 0

joanne cooper28
    Participant
    20 votes
    @joanne-cooper28

Thanks 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X