Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Aurora Carlson 4 years ago.

• Author

Gary
    Participant
    5 votes
    @gschilkey

Am enjoying the book and your podcasts. Thank you for that and for suggesting to get acquainted with Rupert Spira. (Now more videos too watch and absorb.)

How do you define attention? What is its relationship to awareness/consciousness?

All the best to you.

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #6203 Score: 1

Gary
    Participant
    5 votes
    @gschilkey

Just listening to Rupert Spira saying that awareness arises as attention or the finite mind as a way of looking at itself. Awareness can’t look at itself. It can only know itself by being itself.

• #6264 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
    Keymaster
    110 votes
    @aurorac

Hi Gary, thanks for … bringing attention… to this topic! 🙂 It will be very interesting to hear what the authors say about it, and thank you for mentioning Rupert Spira’s take on it.

To me, attention is Being becoming. Attention is the process through which Being becomes aware of and thus gives rise to an aspect of itself. Through attention and intention, some thing arises out of no thing. If consciousness is the light of awareness, then attention is a laser beam and intention is the specific color.

Any other thoughts on this?

• #6503 Score: 0

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

Dear Gary ( @gschilkey ), thank you for your question! I have answered in Readers Ask: Attention, Intention, Manifestation

Love,
    Deepak

• #6525 Score: 1

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear Gary:

With due respect to Spira, I don’t believe that Awareness is defined as something secondary. Awareness is not something that arises from the (finite) mind. It is the source of the finite mind. Awareness is the primary ability to know one’s self and to know others.

Some of the Buddhists call Awareness the One Mind. But we should not attribute anthropormophic connotations to the One Mind, Awareness or Universal Consciousness. The non-dual school of Shaivism which accepts both the reality of the many but as aspects of the non-dual Supreme Consciousness (what I term Awareness) and the absolute reality of Supreme Consciousness, talk about the finite mind as being the cause of bondage; however, in its basic nature even the finite mind is like the Supreme Consciousness, the One Mind.

No need to complicate matters too much. Defining one thing which is primary in terms of secondary things, leads to confusion.

Love and blessings,

Menas

• #6531 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Menas, I think you are actually in agreement with Rupert Spira. I think @gschilkey ‘s words “awareness arises as attention or the finite mind as a way of looking at itself” actually mean that awareness becomes attention/the finite mind- in order to look at itself.

I don’t know what words Spira uses, but I’m pretty sure he means that awareness is the source. However, I was glad this gave you the opportunity to tell us more about non-dual Shaivism which is pretty new to me 🙂 I guess awareness will focus as (my) attention in that direction in order to know itself even that way!

• #6546 Score: 1

Gary
    Participant
    5 votes
    @gschilkey

Deer Deepak, Menas, and Aurora,

Thank you for bringing your attention to my question, and taking the time to reply.
    This exchange was very satisfying. Add me to the critical mass you are building.
    Keep up the good work and good luck to you all.

Gary S.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X