Authors Ask: Your View on the Origin of the Universe?

///Authors Ask: Your View on the Origin of the Universe?

This topic contains 58 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Rogue 4 years ago.

• Author

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

Authors Ask

Dear Readers of You Are the Universe,

As you might know, we, the authors, have a question for you for every chapter of the book. We hope you will answer the following question after you have read the chapter What Came Before the Big Bang?

Our question to you is:

What view on the origin of the universe makes most sense to you?
    Do you consider the creation process of the universe to be in any way connected to your own creativity? Why and how?

We would love to know what thoughts or experiences have led to your conclusion.

Love,
    Deepak and Menas

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #4920 Score: 0

Sean
    Participant
    @sean

I’m am a big fan of your work. I have been a fan since your appearance on Pbs mind, body and soul in 1995. I like YATU but I don’t agree that the universe would not exist without humans because the universe existed long before humans did. Also if a tree falls in a forset with no one there to hear it, Yes I does make a sound. You can prove this by leaving a video/audio recorder there.

• #4929 Score: 0

Deepak Chopra
      60 votes
      @deepakchopra

Sean, I’m in a car traveling to LA to tape a show on YATU. Then I fly to Kansas City. I will post a video later in answer to you. Meanwhile here are a few thoughts:

The universe is not a structure, the building blocks of which are bits of matter. The universe is an experience of form and phenomena. Every form is a phenomenon. Every phenomenon is the arising and subsiding of qualities of awareness within awareness. In the human experience of the universe these qualities are sensations, images, feelings and thoughts. They are experiences as mind/body/Universe as a unified activity. Existence itself is not in time. When we extrapolate a Universe before humans existed we do so in terms of human experience and human imagination.

The second part – there is no such thing as an unheard sound. The information on the video recorder is not a sound until it is heard.
      There is no sound floating around in the universe waiting for you come come along to hear it. Hearing is sound. Hearing cannot be divorced from a witnessing awareness. Sound is an experience in you as awareness. It is known in awareness and made out of awareness. By “you” I don’t mean your body/mind but the timeless awareness in which body/mind/universe are an evolving process.

Menas Kafatos and I explore Qualia Science in our book.

Best,
      Deepak

• #5474 Score: 1

Elena
      Participant
      6 votes
      @elena

What view on the origin of the universe makes most sense to you?
      Do you consider the creation process of the universe to be in any way connected to your own creativity? Why and how?

Have not read the book yet but I have been exploring consciousness and the levels of existence (mind, body and spirit) for many years now.
      The origin of the universe is “nothing’. The true nature of reality is ‘Nothing’ a non material field of possibilities, the source of the universe where the raw materials of the physical and mental universe are all contained as potential. This field is formless, does not occupy space and it is timeless in that it is eternal. It is also referred to in physics as non locality, meaning it is spread everywhere.
      The creative process of the universe is absolutely connected to our own creativity because at the deepest level we as body minds are expressions of consciousness, of this field of infinite possibilities. The infinite field is a field of creativity permeated with intention. Intentions come from your inner being, our consciousness, our true self. Intention orchestrates creativity

• #4922 Score: 0

Sean
    Participant
    @sean

I must admit that i have not read the new book YATU yet but i will read it very soon. I just saw your video about what happens after our sun fades to oblivion and it helped to clarify the relationship between the universe and a sentient being to interpret it. My understanding now is basically what I already know. You are not just the ocean in the drop, you are also the ocean. As a local awareness you percieve, interpret and experience your true self, your universal consciousness self.

• #4924 Score: 0

Karen
    Participant
    @karen

What view on the origin of the universe makes the most sense to you?

In my head, what I perceive as this universe, is our source consciousness, pure positive energy, which is infinite intelligence, and we are experiencing everything as a human experience. So everything we perceive is limited to our senses as the “human experience”. But if you realize that you are this coming and going and everything else you see is also you, you realize that the whole thing is you “happening” in a “forever now”. If you shine light through a prism, it doesn’t change the source of the light, it appears to us as separate colors however they all have always been one to begin with. So as you look out, you’re playing with the different aspects of yourself but limited to this body and mind. If you include quantum entanglement in this, one would realize you never left “home” as you are this point of attraction, broadcasting and receiving. So what we project externally is an internal reflection of our cosmic self to the best that we can currently imagine and perceive ourselves. Since at our core we are consciousness, our origin is infinite and timeless. We are every thing everywhere but also no thing nowhere. I think that our origin as this human universe is only based upon what level our perceived awareness of ourselves is vibrating at. As a new generation is born, and as life is lived, it causes our universe to evolve.. leading to your second question.

Yes. I believe that our universe responds to the law of attraction which is ultimately responsible for it’s evolution. I believe what we broadcast out we attract. If one pays attention, everyday interaction with life reveals this secret to you, that there is literally no separation between your thoughts and experiences that show up in what we perceive as waking reality. What people perceive as deja vu is just reliving the now moment but being unaware that they are creating their own reality. If one were to learn how to shift their point of attraction they could shift their own reality because it’s projected out from us. Each one of us is all that is and all that was and all that ever will be. So as you change your perspective of what we think reality is, you begin to see yourself change. Our own desires and our own creativity literally create the universe around us by how we expect it to be. What most people cannot get past is that, it’s always a new now, because we’re technically a point of attraction and creating what we see, not perceiving it. So when we look out at the world, we reflect on it, and either react, or put solutions towards what our awareness is witnessing. When you are creating something, you focus on the positive aspects, not the negative ones. While you are living and creating, the more you experience, the better you understand what you want, your desires. In that reflection, the evolution of the universe is constant and never ending. This is what is happening to us at this point in time, which should lead us into a golden age, just ego death is really all there is that remains. We will go from being global to cosmic beings.

• #4928 Score: 1

Paul Gopal
    Participant
    15 votes
    @paul

Namaste Deepak,Menas & everyone,

I am fascinated with The principle of Yin & Yang & it is fascinating what Menas has said about it in one of the videos that is part of the YATU on line course, consciousness, science & the nature of reality. I would like to review that section of the video, If anyone knows which video that was, please let me know.

Somehow the Tao has always been here & always will be here & Yes I consider the creation process of the universe to be connected to my own creativity & experience this as wei wu wei: “action without action” or “effortless doing”.

“There was something formless and perfect
    before the universe was born.
    It is serene. Empty.
    Solitary. Unchanging.
    Infinite. Eternally present.
    It is the mother of the universe.
    For lack of a better name,
    I call it the Tao.

It flows through all things,
    inside and outside, and returns
    to the origin of all things.

The Tao is great.
    The universe is great.
    Earth is great.
    Man is great.
    These are the four great powers.

Man follows the earth.
    Earth follows the universe.
    The universe follows the Tao.
    The Tao follows only itself.”

Tao Te Ching
    Written by Lao-tzu
    From a translation by S. Mitchell

• #4933 Score: 0

krista
      Participant
      24 votes
      @krista

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sharing! So beautiful and true!

I love the truth, Krista

• #5178 Score: 1

Menas Kafatos
      41 votes
      @menask

Namaste Paul!

Actually the Yin & Yang principle is in the book as related to complementarity. And indeed the Tao is another name for the universal Reality that is ever present and everlasting. The Tao is the flow of the Universe. And That You Are. You are the Tao, you are the Universe.

Love,
      Menas

• #6247 Score: 1

Robin
      Participant
      51 votes
      @robin

Dear Deepak and Menas,
      Having read Chapter One, I am still confused about what happened “before” the Big Bang, where our universe was born. Admittedly, there was no “before,” and there could be no “where” since our universe can only exist in time and space, outside of which there is nothing. But Consciousness (or God, Source, Ein Sof, etc.) that is everywhere at all times could be the steady state that breathes universes into being, no?

I think of the Creation Myth by the Ari (Isaac Ben Luria), a Jewish mystic in the 16th century, who believed that God filled the Universe, but God was lonely. So God inhaled to contract, to make room for the Universe, and in that contraction, left darkness. And into that darkness, God sent vessels of light igniting the creation of the Universe, but they were fragile and shattered (and here, we see, interestingly, God has the capacity to err!)

It seems that God’s “inhale” leaving darkness and the emergence of light are metaphorical expressions of what we now call the Big Bang.

And they result from a contraction, or separation, from the One-ness—which would seem to then be present outside of time and space that portends igniting our Universe (and perhaps many others).

So the original state (and steady state?), in this view, would seem to be Consciousness-outside of time and space and omnipresent, of which we are a part (or from which we are apart?). Is that consistent with the view of #YATU? And do you believe, like the myth of the Ari, that humanity’s job is to gather the sparks in the act of repairing the world (Tikkun Olam) – in which we might again be unified with the One and each other?

I think the creation stories are extremely powerful ways for us to relate to the abstract quantum descriptions that are invisible and inaccessible to those of us without a quantum physics background. The Tao story from @paul is also a very poetic way to tap into the qualia of human experience, that seems entirely consistent with the Ari’s story, because this is how human’s can attempt to see what is ultimately ineffable.

• #6643 Score: 0

Deepak Chopra
      60 votes
      @deepakchopra

Dear Robin ( @robin ), thank you for your question! I have answered in Readers Ask: Is the Big Bang a Creation Myth?

Love,
      Deepak

• #4930 Score: 0

Derek Whitney
    Participant
    22 votes
    @derek-whitney

Thanks Paul for sharing the simple, profound wisdom of Lao Tzu’s TAO Te Ching.

Deepak & Menas also beautifully merge the ancient wisdom of China, India and Greece with science, religion and great art – which are all pointers to the one ultimate ‘what is’ or truth.

From the formless all form emerges & returns.

The formless is so omnipotently, unlimitedly & miraculously powerful. It contains the ‘lived energetic memory of every dinosaur, tree, animal, raindrop, insect, bird & human that has ever lived.

Exactly how vast the cosmos is, with trillions of galaxies, or the eternal origin of Source / the Universe is beyond our knowing.

To know what was a trllion years ago…or to know what will be a trillion years from now…is beyond thought knowing but we can hold knowing that ‘we’ were always there & that we always will be here now.

We are the Universe of infinite possibility and beyond space and time.

That all 8 billion human experiential learnings are merged into the One is, at present, fascinating as we have become so self harming. Just as Jesus guided ‘God loves nothing more than a returned, lost soul’. As with any individual, so too the entire human Universe can awaken to shedding it’s lived human dysfunction by knowing our divine true identity & realise our immense, unlimited capacity to be, create from, share & experience Love.

As with a single form, so too, the entire universe.

We are omnipresent, breathtakingly beautifully seeking to be Love…and simulteneously, historically & at present causing much pain, which all, in it’s own way is, as Lao Tzu so helpfully guided …’carving in the block of wood’ that we both in individual form and as a species are, a deeper capacity to be, create from, share & experience Love.

I sense returning to our Formless state of unlimitedly peacefully, powerfully, presently, Lovingly just being…will be as living our peak human experiences of Love, in every Eternal now …and there is only joy, comfort, excitement, peace & Loving knowing in that.

There is also positive motivation to do unlimited good while in this form..as we were divinely & uniquely spun from the thread of eternity to be here now and to do so.

Namaste

• #4932 Score: 0

Erik
    Participant
    3 votes
    @erik

Hi Mr. Chopra and Mr. Kafatos

I am on page 53 in You Are The Universe. I had a type of aha-moment I would like your insights on. It relates to the ‘form’ of the formless consciousness. It is supposedly impossible for the formless to be perceived as form, but as I read YATU, a memory appeared for me.

It was when I was at a lecture in university studying Linear Algebra and our lector had brought with him a tesseract to explain higher-dimensional geometric shapes. A tesseract is a projection of a fourth-dimensional cube in our third dimensional universe. Compare it with drawing a cube onto a piece of paper. The cube is there a projection of a third-dimensional object in a two-dimensional realm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract

If we look at the tesseract, in my opinion it symbolizes the creation of the universe from an ocean of consciousness.

Imagine the outer cube being consciousness where everything is possible. By projecting a segment of that cube into a smaller cube within, a universe is created with certain types of restrictions (such as physical laws and physical matter) from the consciousness where everything is possible.

It also symbolizes the epitome of ‘You are the Ocean in the Drop’. The YOU is the entire cube (the ocean) and whilst having the human experience, the YOU is projected into the smaller cube within (the droplet).

So what came before the Big Bang? Well, simply the ocean was still the ocean without having been projected into a smaller portion into itself. The universe appeared from a ‘higher dimension’ as you have mentioned as one of your theories in the chapter.

Do you think that the tesseract can symbolize this for a human mind?

Thank you a million times for the book. I will revel at every page.

Namaste,
    /Erik

• #4941 Score: 1

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Dr. Chopra,

Please accept my humble respect for yourself & your valuable contributions.

I am not a reader of the book however have been invited to share my thoughts, which I will do on each question as I believe and realise so far.

What view on the origin of the universe makes most sense to ‘YOU’?

Before I dwelve into this question I believe it is important to explain what I understand from who is this You in question in other words, who am ‘I’. I have to express the points I am about to state cannot be scientifically proven.

So, my memory dates as far as a few years from now but that doesn’t mean I did not exist before, I’m going with this assumption that I existed before this life and therefore many billions of lives as I cannot pin point an origin to when my soul was born and whether it was born, I thus conclude that I am an eternal soul.

There is a universe in me which also manifests the universe we see externally. But this doesn’t mean I universe we see externally does not exist. It exists and it each one of us are not only a part of this universe but also a universe on our own.

So as I said, eternal soul has no beginning likewise I conclude that the external universe has no beginning.

We all are individual universes. Each has a mind, signified by the Moon , each has a soul signified by the Sun and so on. Every individual is living and manifesting the universe we also see externally. We also have a father and a mother, again signified by the Sun and the Moon. A simple example, the waxing and waning of the Moon is also the mensuration cycle of a woman. We are manifesting events over and over again. We can connect various such cosmic events and see how they occur within our life. Another spiritual cosmic event called the churning of the oceans, Samudra manthan which actually created the Shristi/ universe as per our shastras, is comparable to the churning of emotions resulting in the journey of enlightenment. Example. Lord Gautam Buddha.

Is it my creativity?
    The individual universe and what we see externally are connected but it is not mine or anyone’s creativity. It is God’s creativity and if we understood that we wouldn’t be here.

Why and how?
    The universe is made of 5 tattva, jala (water), Agni (fire), pruthvi (earth) , Vayu (air) and Aakash (Ether). These combine in various subtle combinations to create life, disease and also give 3 gunas rajas (mode of passion), tamas (mode of darkness) and sattva (mode of goodness). These tattva and gunas are not only in the external universe but also within us and control our mind and body.

Why?
    When we take birth we are blessed with a mind of our own. We used the mind and spirit to create our world , thoughts and actions. However our thoughts and actions are a direct result of the tattva and the gunas we possess and hone and that which enters the body of 9 gates and through our senses.

The universe that we see externally is not just the creation of our mind.

Another analogy is through the divine science astrology.

Some may be aware that Sun also referred to Lord Christ who took birth in the sign of Capricorn , passes through 12 rashis/ zodian signs. These were also the 12 disciples. So like Lord Christ took birth on Earth the seasons and the events are being manifested over and over again.

With reference to the Samudra Manthan /Churning of the cosmic oceans , when Lord himself released the demon into Rahu and Ketu becoming the north and south node of the Moon. This event also occurs in the form of eclipse as both Rahu and Ketu are enemies of the Sun and Moon who also were the ones to complain about the demon.

This is a pseudo science called astrology whether or not we appreciate it exists and our birth chart is nothing but a report card/balance sheet of our past karma.

I am not sure if all this makes sense but I believe that yoga, Ayurveda and astrology are interconnected to the extent unknown to mankind today.

As we can see with the above example, the external universe is controlling us.
    We are not creating anything, we only think we are.

I believe I the ‘Atman’ is given this life with a mind, body has to go through the purification process through suffering , death, old age and disease has to realise our true self which I have probably forgotten in this eternal non comprehendible eternal journey.

In other words to do my dharma based on my karma, I take birth/manifest into the universe..So above so below.

• #5347 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear @aum-krishna , thank you so much for sharing your view! May I ask, is it based on teachings you have assimilated or from your own observations?

• #5349 Score: 1

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Aurora,
    Thank you for inviting me to comment in the forum. To answer your intriguing question, I’d like to share that these are my ‘sanskars’. As you probably know, Sanskars are gathered from various lives lived. Kindest, Aum

• #5368 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Thank you so much for your answer dear @aum-krishna .

Allow me another question. Sanskaras are something “you” have. But who or what is this “you”?

• #5377 Score: 1

Aum Krishna
      Participant
      5 votes
      @aum-krishna

Dear Aurora,
      I have already answered your question in my original comment. Also as explained sanskars are not just gathered from this lifetime, these are gathered from lifetimes and the soul carries it along.

• #5382 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Aum Krishna,

I am sorry for any confusion. I know that in your original answer you described yourself as eternal soul. I believe the Sanskrit word you refer to could be Atman. My question came from wondering what would cause identification with Atman and not with Brahman. To me, Atman naturally realizes itself as Brahman as soon as apparent bondage to sanskaras and vasanas is dissolved.

Thank you also for the mention of Shri Bhagwadgeeta which I respect and love. I believe it supports the above.

• #5354 Score: 1

Eric
    Participant
    2 votes
    @eric

To the thinkers of the world:
    What view on the origin of the universe makes most sense to ‘YOU’?

I have been pondering existential plausibilities since I could ponder.
    Certainly indoctrinated from childhood, I had a hard time accepting anything as universal or truth, as I was taught not to question the unquestionable. But I believe there is an answer to all questions for the patient and seeking.
    This is an excerpt I wrote in one of my classes that asked a similar box breaking question. What do I have to show for my time on Earth?
    Full write up here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0mtZpyQcOUVV2Fpd1RKcjc0SVk/view?usp=sharing

________
    To further set the stage, allow me to provide a logical trail of plausible events that
    support an idea of universal desires shared among all human beings. Science teaches us to
    observe and accept no truth until it can be observed. Science also states we were once a dense
    ball of super mass containing both everything and nothing at the same time. Recently science has
    enlightened us to the possibility that the entire universe along with its creation is the result of
    random chance caused by the laws of quantum physics. So with science at the cusp of reason we
    will start there. If we were once a ball of super dense matter contained in one location then the
    fragments that make up our consciousness were there as well. Again following this idea of one
    big bang being the center point for all creation, we must assume that higher and lesser forms of
    consciousness were there as well. If all that can and ever will be can be gathered into one place it
    must be safe to assume that the singularity may actually be self aware. For the purpose of
    argument I will now refer to this central consciousness as God. If God decided to expand and
    become the universe and disperse himself among all things, which obviously happened as there
    are trees and birds outside at this very moment, then one must ask himself if God is still aware of
    all things proceeding the disbursement. It is simply inconceivable to fathom the limitations of a
    single being who is able to place planets and stars precise enough to sustain life. Just the
    conditions needed to qualify as a habitable planet are both mathematically improbable and
    wondrous at the same time. Regardless if communication or even simple awareness is achievable
    with God, there must be some sort of formula to living that supports a healthy self­image.
    …If we go back to our idea of an expanding consciousness,
    God, then we might be able to fall back on the uncertainty of Him being readily accessible. Since
    this is an unanswerable question, then we might be able to use our imagination, which is also
    apart of this created universe. If we imagine and or believe we are connected to God then we
    would be able to inquire for help. If, like we said before, God expanded and we are a small result
    of that expansion, would he not desire to commune and gather with the pieces of His expansion?
    Considering our desire to be loved and remembering desire is a part of us that makes us human
    would that not be a shared trait with God or The Greater Consciousness that in the beginning
    created us? God must desire to be with us just as we desire to be with our children.
    _____

It took me a while to fall into the big bang theory as a creationist, but I certainly believe that’s how I would have done it to make a grand entry into existence.
    As far as pre-big-bang, I believe this lyric from MeWithoutYou stands for reason:
    And just as a Flower and its Fragrance are one so must each of you and your Father become.

I believe the whole process of life, is to return to that beginning state where we were Echad with the singularity.

• #5369 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear @eric , a warm welcome to the YATU forum which indeed gathers deep thinkers of the world!
      Thank you for describing your view and the way you have arrived there, I love how you ground your every step on logic and also how you allow some thoughts to be better expressed by poetry 🙂

May I ask you something?

Where are the trees and the birds you described, and also the big bang, and God, the planets and stars and the universe- right this moment? Where are they being created, right now?

• #5522 Score: 1

Eric
      Participant
      2 votes
      @eric

@aurorac
      I’m not too sure I follow your question.

“..the universe and disperse himself among all things, which obviously happened as there
      are trees and birds outside at this very moment”

“Where are the trees and the birds you described, and also the big bang, and God, the planets and stars and the universe- right this moment? Where are they being created, right now?”

The birds and trees are as they have always been since after their creation.
      The big bang is still dispersing, the God who triggered it is still within and outside it, never truly absorbed or taken over by His undoing.
      This state of entropy is the hot stove lesson for all of humanity, the highest creation.

Right this moment? What will be will be let it be. What is has been and will be until it is no more but even then it is never truly gone.
      Where are they being created right now? Electrons, are the echo of the creator. Both wave and component of particle, this is the smallest essence of creation. Within all things is the power to create and destroy. Electrons can be converted into other forms of energy but all have their own power house of unfathomable reserve. Made of waves, this particle does what it is set forth to do with immense precision and intentionality. The force it was made to resemble, holds all of these things and prays we witness His mass provision for the most sensitive of our intricacies. He prays to know you and for you to know Him. It is the force that desires to bring the reverberations of Peace and Joy and Love and Stillness and Wealth to your soul. Not the shallow tangible things we escape in daily, cars, stereos, tvs, bigger and better, lusts and idolatry. These are all conjurings and man-made appliances designed to distract us from the mundane and provide fleeting hope until the sweet taste of death. There is life beyond death and it is meant for now.
      Creating has become sustaining. In a world of entropy it is my cry to shout stability! Stability in relationship with the only One who is anchored outside it.
      I may be off an a tangent and for sake of not loosing you to perceived chaos without reason.
      The reason is the chaos is evident. But so is the beauty. How do you reside in the beauty without being scorched by the chaos.
      The Truth is, the scorch keeps your mind focused on finding others who are being consumed by the scorch.
      It’s a kid drowning in 2 feet of water, STAND UP. Your circumstance does not need to consume you! You are a powerful force compiled of the only force who witnessed creation! You HAVE CREATION IN YOU! Commune with Him and find that not in your strength but in strength of surrender and reliability have you come so far as to not flinch by the scorch.
      Creation is ours to preserve and to sustain. Don’t go down with the ship! Gain wings and fly above it! Know Him, Know Yourself!

• #5538 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Eric, sorry if I have been unclear. My question came after reading your words:

If God decided to expand and
      become the universe and disperse himself among all things, which obviously happened as there
      are trees and birds outside at this very moment

I know that most people see it this way, but if you think of it… aren’t the trees and birds you contemplate arising in your own consciousness at any moment when you either think of them or actually look at them?

Whenever we say that things are out there, we forget that all we actually know is that they are qualities of experience (or qualia as the authors of YATU refer to them) in consciousness. We have stories about how they “got there” so to speak, but the thing is that those stories are also in our consciousness. All we know is that the experiences of birds and trees arises and also subsides- in consciousness. They are created in consciousness at the very moment of experience and not some time in the past. If you read YATU you might enjoy the discussion on time too, along with the discussion about origin.
      I hope this clarified my question to some extent. It is just meant as food for thought if you should enjoy it 🙂

• #5381 Score: 0

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Aurora,

Also I would like to humbly mention that Shri Bhagwadgeeta has answer to all these questions. Who am I , why are the trees being created etc. We can always dwevle with our wild imagination. Why not make this sacred book the benchmark? It’s not an ordinary one, respected Deepak Chopra acknowledges it as well.

Best regards

• #5385 Score: 0

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Aurora
    None of us here are Brahman. If we were as you explained we would be freed from sanskars and bondage etc. So if we were Brahman we would have been freed from life and death, old age, disease but we are not. In addition, we would be able to to some extent change the environment in a positive way.
    I believe that having knowledge, realising something and experiencing it are three different things. By mere knowledge and speculation we cannot say we have attained Brahman.
    However when we declare ‘you are this universe’ or ‘I am this universe’ we come from the assumption that we have attained Brahman which is not true as we all are bonded. As I explained there is a huge difference in knowing, realising and truly-realising/attaining/experiencing.

• #5387 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Aum Krishna,

Beyond your thoughts and mine, and everyone else’s, there is a silence, a presence, containing them all. If we are there, a smile might arise. We might instantly find ourselves in an impersonal, ageless space from where only good comes.

Of course, it might cost us our different bodies, backgrounds, thoughts and beliefs, our history, our preferences and different views … but it might be worth it. It might be the treasure we have so long struggled to find. Right here, right now, only a thought away.

Blessings and love

• #5386 Score: 0

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Also, I believe the right way to put it would be, we have the potential within us to attain Brahman. Just like even a newborn baby girl has millions of ovaries within her and possesses the potential to become a mother someday…so she having the potential to be a mother won’t be declared as being a mother until she has realised it.
    Best regards

• #5390 Score: 0

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Aurora

You state, “beyond your thoughts and mine, and everyone else’s, there is a silence, a presence, containing them all. ‘If we are there, a smile might arise’. We might instantly find ourselves in an impersonal, ageless space from where only good comes.”

“Right here, right now, only a thought away”

Yes when I think as you asked me to, it does bring a smile. But this is temporary smile arising out of imagination (not defying that it is false but acknowledging that that silence,space is something we have not comprehended). This smile is different from Ananda wherein you experience blissfulness. As you say beyond the concept of mind, so there mustn’t be a thought in the first place, but the fact that this smile arises from a thought,it is an illusion.

Thank you for the blessings.

Best wishes and love

• #5392 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

🙂 🙂 🙂
      I didn’t ask you to think about silence, I invited you to be that which is beyond thoughts.
      Thank you so much for the good wishes dear Aum Krishna, for this dialogue and also for sharing the same love!

• #5394 Score: 0

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

🙂
    Okay, it wasn’t apparent that you were inviting me to be that silence etc. Infact I was meaning to clarify the purpose of your constant questioning.

Since you have kindly invited me to be that, can you advise what would be the symptoms/qualities to prove one is in that or one is one with that?

Please do not refer me to the book, I haven’t read it and I don’t wish to, the title doesn’t make sense to me.

• #5395 Score: 0

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

I would love to be that, bliss, Brahman, universe , silence , having knowledge of the Knower of all fields etc etc…But just hoping/imagining to be that would be simple imagination and being that would be pure silence full of love, we can still can strive to be by practicing being beyond Anna (food) maya, prana maya, jnana Maya, vijyanna (spiritual science) maya to reach Ananda Maya..The state of sheer blissfulness.

I guess the disconnect in the points from both ends is that you are inviting me to be which even you are not yet and neither is anyone, because then we would know we are beyond the needs of Maya’s mentioned above..

• #5397 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

I fully agree that hoping or imagining that one is that is in no way that 🙂 But nevertheless, we all ARE that. Everything IS that. The more one becomes used to letting go of not only thoughts but also sensations, perceptions, images, of everything that arises, the more it becomes clear that that is all there is.

You have described that state, maybe you mean that you have read about it but not experienced it. Under all the surface activity of mind, that state is there for us all. It’s so fascinating how attention can sometimes cling to some belief, a cloud temporarily clouding the sky. Let it 🙂 The sky is always there of course, and all that is needed to experience it is a shift of attention and depth. It doesn’t happen through effort, only through letting go.

To be aware of being doesn’t mean that the other layers do not have their usual needs. One can be aware of being and also aware of the habitual needs of the body on annamaya level for example. There is no resistance there, no need for resistance, as there is no identification with that level anymore or anything else in maya. All of that can continue, one is not that anymore but can choose to allow it all to be. Depth doesn’t deny surface, it simply sees it for what it is, a temporary imaginary structure in itself.

All it takes is really seeing through identification with the unreal. It just takes sitting down and letting go. It’s inevitable that the mind settles and the truth shines through. For me it often causes a big belly laugh. My body starts dancing. It’s just so wonderful to be.
      I really don’t think you need to see it as complicated. Letting go of complications reveals sheer joy <3

This post has received 1 vote up and 1 vote down.
  • #5414 Score: 1

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Yes, as above so below. The words “external” and “creating” imply duality. It is fine to contemplate duality as the one reality but at some point existentialist questions, like the ones you asked, arise. From the point of view of Brahman, there is no bondage, no ssmskaras, no life or death. These are the terms that the mind assigns to phenomena arising out of the infinite sea of Awareness. By “mind” here I mean the limited awareness of someone’s existence in space-time. Of course the (small letter) mind is the same essence as (capital letter) Mind. Atman is Brahman. In Its true essence, Atman Is Brahman. This is the deep meaning of You Are the Universe.

• #5434 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Thank you Menas, I have understood that this is the message of the book. You Are the Universe is one way of saying “you are the consciousness appearing as all”.

• #5417 Score: 0

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Menas

This is not what the Geeta says.

Kindest

• #5418 Score: 0

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Aurora

I am able to describe the feeling as I experience blissfulness (in my humble opinion) and a bout of various realisations time and again. That is however not constant.

I do agree that our(soul) original/ internal nature is blissful (full of love beyond boundaries) however since we are contaminated by being in contact with material world and 24 senses, we are unable to ‘truly-realise’ the actual original state of being eternally blissful because we are unable to surrender. Tru surrender will happen when we have no need to exist away from the original source.

The fact that there is I, means there is a need for identity (ego) being identified separately from God himself…So I fail to understand what this I AM THAT means. If the author means to say I AM THAT (Blissful) Okay I agree but if it means I am GOD and nothing else, it makes no sense to me, it’s just too annoying people not accepting the supreme controller /creator of the universe/ Purusha/ the ultimate enjoyer instead associate themselves as Prakriti /Durga/ Nature/ Universe, which is the field (ksetre) and not the knower of the field (individual soul/kshtre jnana)

Let’s accept there is the Supreme energy that’s what the truly self realised souls, Lord Christ, Shri Said Baba , mother Theresa even, Srila Prabhupada and many more divine saints praised, preached about, creating miracles

This knowledge or being temporarily blissful still is scratching surface as realising one element of God is not becoming God or merging with God as we are and will remain part and parcels of HIM and NOT HIM.

And thus, I am not THAT, I aspire to be merged with the ‘divine THAT’ hopefully if I can give up the need to exist away from HIM.

You are this universe is just superficial level of understanding as I said, scratching the surface.

• #5435 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Aum Krishna,

I don’t think you need to feel annoyed. It is only natural that everyone has a different view, it all depends of where each of us is looking from. If your understandings and conclusions sit well with you, if you are happy to be where you are on your path, then I think you should enjoy it. Still, respectfully, I would add that it can be good to allow the experience expressed by other people to be possible. After all, limitations are there for us all to release, and if we deny that possibility for others, we deny it for ourself too.

I wish you many happy discoveries and a joyful continued path! 🙂

• #5440 Score: 0

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Aurora

Thank you for accepting my comment as it instead of questioning and complicating the questions and then clarifying them. As the forum is to express views I did, but I found they were being deflected toward what you and the authors believe to be true. (I’m just saying that I find it superficial and so the book title is).

I see you mention nothing to be annoyed but to be honest the way you all speak… I keep reading this “cosmic consciousness or (God or whatever)”. These are the words used,’God or whatever’! Im sure you don’t mean it but atleast don’t speak like this, in this tone. I’m confident you don’t refer your parents in this manner. Eg. My mother or whatever you call her..

May I tell you, I have found, you yourselves do not respect others views. Please respect that people at large believe in God refer to HiM as our father in heaven, please show some respect when speaking and accept views before channeling people toward what you think is correct based on your theory without any references.

I have referred the Geeta because the author of YAtU himself endorses it, that’s all. So if we weigh The Geeta and YATU, you can analyse what content is validated and correct yourself. Of course that would happen only if God Himself wants you to.

Anyway, Im not asking u to believe what I do, the way you have been in the forum.

PS: I heard a story in my child hood. Someone so adamant wrote GOD is Nowhere and immediately a storm struck and changed it to GOD is NOW HERE.

Thanks for your last comment it was nice to read. Do please convey my message about referring to God, with a positive tone, to the respected authors I’d be grateful.

May you have joyful realisations as well. Amen.

Aum Shanti Shanti Shantiihiii..

• #5449 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Aum Krishna,

I hear that your view of me and everyone on this forum being disrespectful of God is annoying you. I hear that you have not read the book discussed here but consider it superficial. I hear that you wish that we shared your view.

I am sorry that your view annoys you dear Aum Krishna!

As I see it, there is no greater humility than realizing that God, Yahweh, Elohim, Jehovah, Shàngdì, Tiānzhŭ, Cheon-ju, Maykapal, Omnipotens Deus, Nkosi, Jah Rastafari, Olodumare, Allah, Ar-Rahman, Al- Rahim, Khuda, Huwa, Parvardigar, Bahá’, Ishwar, Dieu, Dios, Krishna, Baghavan, Ishvara, Brahman, Akal Purakh,(thank you Wikipedia!) or maybe Goddess, Spirit, Higher Self, Being, Presence, or whatever name people give to the source and highest reality of the world … is consciousness itself. The realization that personal identity is a construct in consciousness makes it quite clear that God (or whatever you wish to call it) is here right now, beyond the constructs and playing with these constructs, beyond emotions and experiencing all possible emotions including anger and joy, beyond all qualities but containing all qualities, including arrogance and humility.

There is no greater humility than giving up the idea of ego, giving up the fear, arrogance and struggle that come with isolating one name, gender, background, book, idea or aspect of God and clinging to it as the only reality. There is no greater freedom than realizing that, like the Buddha said, the right view is all views or no view.

If I give up my attachment to the delusion of being something other than what you also are, then there is no conflict possible. As separate identities, we are constructs in the same consciousness. The realization of unity comes with a peace that is something completely different than good manners. Hand puppets can only disagree and in general interact with each other with any seriousness so long as the puppeteer has forgotten that the right and left hand are in reality the same being. As soon as the puppeteer remembers, of course, they can continue to hit each other or hug, but it will be with the joy of knowing it’s all play.

To whom shall I convey your message dear Aum Krishna? If you wish to be in a more joyful state than the state of annoyance, you probably know what is needed. I wish you peace, joy, love and fulfillment!

• #5454 Score: 0

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Aurora
    I agree with most of what you said in your last comment and thank you for understanding. I also appreciate the fact that these traits are a form of ego which exist in us all.

As you will see, in my comment I said, please don’t say God or whatever – respect others beliefs and even though you acknowledge that u understand what I’m saying​ , you’ve said it again.. 🙂

Good luck with your search for the eternal nothingness.

I am just a common person, common man as they say and I know that I know nothing, you all are ‘learned’, then why don’t u put to practice what u are preaching to me…About respecting views..Do think..

• #5457 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Not sure whom you refer to when you say “you all’ but you and me seem to have different views on both everything and nothing 😊 It’s very common and what matters is the wishes for good. I’m sure that misunderstandings will solve themselves in their own good time 😊 Until then, let’s continue to enjoy experience! 💗💮

• #5458 Score: 0

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Aurora

By you all I meant, yourself and the Authors. It’s just a request for consideration really to substitute ‘God or whatever you call it’ with ‘God or however you refer the supreme energy as’, it’s just polite. Anyway its for consideration and if someone is really annoyed, it actually is their problem Im ‘aware’ of this fact but people at large may not necessarily and as learned people you all can consider people’s feelings whilst communicating.

Ya may be my views are different but i’m not sure that is the case, it could be essentially the verbiage refered and a reference to a revered Book, The Geeta.

I was meaning to quit from this forum but I believe we can mutually benefit in our learning journey.

Love

• #5571 Score: 0

Shivansh Mahajan
    Participant
    9 votes
    @shivansh

Namaste @aum-krishna,

Here, I am a believer of GOD- the ultimate source of all that exists. I hope you agree with me on that?
    I am not an expert now, but I want to try sharing my opinion. I feel that specifically in discussions in spirituality, words can be easily misunderstood or not even understood. But shouldn’t we be mindful of the fact that after all, they are ‘words’? I think that confusion or words or contexts must not invade a discussion which is driven by ‘purpose of words’ and not just ‘words’ themselves. So, you should not feel bad about such mere use of words which is bound to vary across cultures. Don’t you think that already our world is suffering so much from tensions and disputes just because someone said something which they should not say? What I want to say is that instead of feeling unpleasant with the use of words used in context with God; you, I and we all should rather feel the love and bliss of God, ultimate reality or pure consciousness (different Words for same “____”).
    Also, you said that you don’t wish to read the book as you don’t feel comfortable with the title. My friend, unless you don’t experience others’ experience, how can you even talk of their viewpoint? I am sure that reading about view points other than your own, won’t affect the strength of your belief. Please don’t judge without experiencing. I have nothing and don’t even wish to argue against your belief. I can feel the truth in it!

May God bless you.

With Love,
    Shivansh

• #5572 Score: 1

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Shivansh,

Thanks for the courteous email.

I agree with the points you have made about words creating confusion etc. I’m not sure you have read my very first/original post. It was my view as I was invited to share but felt the origin was dissected and challenged and subsequently I was challenged, to imagine / pushed to experience something I believe is temporary. I did not feel my view was respected and thus ended up giving quotes and explanations from a revered book The Geeta and only because Dr.Chopra himself endorses it.

My reason for not reading the book is also shared in my posts, it’s nothing to do with not respecting anyone’s beliefs but it’s more to do with the demeanour of the title itself. I hope this brings clarity on the perspective and the communications.

Kindest regards

• #5580 Score: 0

Shivansh Mahajan
      Participant
      9 votes
      @shivansh

Aum Krishna,

Thank you for responding. I do understand your point of view, and to me it seems that you consider the title of the book saying ‘You Are the Universe’ to be a disrespect to the Ultimate Creator of the universe. Correct me if I am wrong.
      I would humbly request you to consider this for a moment- There are people out there who believe quite confidently that the words such as Atman, Brahman, Parmatan, and other words of wisdom as preached by the Gita do no more than to confuse people with false believes of spirituality, and rather Bible is the only way to God. They don’t want to even acknowledge the belief other than their own. In this case, the wisdom in Gita is considered nonsensical. And I have experienced hearing this myself. So, would you call those people right to say that?
      What I want to clarify here is that it appears that you are literally judging a book by its cover, my friend. Even if you don’t think the ideology and the paradigm of this book is not what you believe, you may read it to analyze deeper into what actually the authors wish to convey through such a title. That is definitely not going to stifle your rich beliefs; you know that and I am sure too. But if you read, then we all can have a deeper and more meaningful discussion over the book. Personally, from reading the book, I can say that what’s inside is far more deeper in meaning and context than the title itself. If you choose to read it, you will have a beautiful experience.

Thank you for considering to read my suggestion.

-Shivansh

• #5596 Score: 1

Aum Krishna
    Participant
    5 votes
    @aum-krishna

Dear Shivansh

Responding to your questions in sections below
    You say
    “I do understand your point of view, and to me it seems that you consider the title of the book saying ‘You Are the Universe’ to be a disrespect to the Ultimate Creator of the universe. Correct me if I am wrong.”

– I don’t think you have read all my posts. Nevertheless, this is not disrespecting Creator of Universe,words like “God or whatever you call it”, these words are disrespectful.
    The concern I have with the title is that You are the Universe is not the ultimate reality and if it is it is superficial. Do please read all my posts as I do not intend to clarify every point all over again, thanks.

“I would humbly request you to consider this for a moment- There are people out there who believe quite confidently that the words such as Atman, Brahman, Parmatan, and other words of wisdom as preached by the Gita do no more than to confuse people with false believes of spirituality, and rather Bible is the only way to God. They don’t want to even acknowledge the belief other than their own. In this case, the wisdom in Gita is considered nonsensical. And I have experienced hearing this myself. So, would you call those people right to say that?”

– It may be confusing for people doesn’t mean what is spoken is not true. Infact , being endorsed by Dr. Chopra himself is the basis why the holy book is mentioned here in the first place.
    You say, have experienced yourself learning that the preaching from Geeta is nonsensical and if I consider that right?

I do not want to make judgements regarding your learning journey. As answered above The Geeta comes from revered source and consists of wealth of knowledge which depending from person to person may or may not be understood and if understood as well, it may or may not always be easy to follow.

As far as real love for God goes, when there is real love there is no argument so whether someone believes The Geeta or not whether someone believes The holy Bible or not, with real love comes real understanding.

Thank you for urging me to read the book. 🙂 I’m answering questions here because I’m asked, else I have no interest to be in the forum.

Kindest regards

• #5597 Score: 1

Diane E. Harper
    Participant
    12 votes
    @diane-e-harper

How wonderful that all voices which are expressing from their viewpoint are accepted here. As I move about in my world of self-discovery, I keep an idea in the back of my mind that I am not alone and the words I use must be measured before they come out so as to not offend my audience. Communication and education seem to be the goal of this book. I am so there! As I read it, my ideas seem to coalesce and 99% of the time I am in agreement with the authors. It seems my internal drive is to draw correlations between worlds to find where things and ideas merge. Where words and their meanings are similar although from different realms join to point to a higher truth. My most sincere thanks for the conversation.
    Peace and thank you,
    Diane

• #5598 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

So glad that you’re enjoying the dialogue and also the book Diane! 🙂 I do too, I find that this book is so elegantly communicating the bright light of awareness from which it comes.
      I also think that we all gain from accepting the process through which every person finds their way to a deeper truth. As for communication, all we can do is make sure that we mean no offense. How the words are perceived is on the other hand not up to us. Why not allow everyone their interpretation and reaction, it is, after all, one of the many possibilities of expression available to the one consciousness!

• #5603 Score: 0

Diane E. Harper
    Participant
    12 votes
    @diane-e-harper

Hello, Aurora!
    I’m still formulating my image of the origin of the universe, however I seem to want to go the that place between something and nothing! That snap between the off and on. I just can’t seem to go beyond that except to think that life is desiring itself. An exploration of all the worlds of possibilities. Life desiring to try on all the hats. Turn every particle over and explore what happens if … ! So I have an image of a multitudinous un-ending field of potential that is at play with all that is. Universes popping in and out of seeming nothing. Big Bangs and Black Holes.
    I’m not at all sure that I can see an ‘origin’. I think our human mind cannot yet conceive of something that has no beginning or end. We can only postulate and examine what happens with the very smallest thing or the very largest thing we can comprehend at the time.

• #5604 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Thank you for sharing your view Diane, it makes perfect sense to me 🙂
      “Life desiring to try on all the hats”- I couldn’t have put it better. I too sense the playfulness behind the emergence of any experience, behind all stories and structures created in consciousness. All we need to do is go there, to the meeting place of the on and the off as you call them, and observe the outpouring of constantly new forms of awareness.

As for consciousness itself, the source and background of all this emerging and subsiding… as it isn’t a concept, I agree with you that we can’t conceptualize it. We can try to refer to our experience of it as best we can and I think we can recognize it in each other’s descriptions. We can dialogue about it and find ways to express it, which helps bring this deep awareness to humanity’s new thought structures and systems. We are awareness, being itself and sometimes- conversing with itself about itself 🙂

• #6708 Score: 2

aiden_cahill99
    Participant
    2 votes
    @aiden_cahill99

i have a question not relating to this topic but didn’t know where else to put it. What does the body and brain of the homo sapien play in all of this, how does this little organism become a subject of consciousness? did the body and brain evolve in this universe before it was experienced by consciousness? if so without consciousness to provide form to energy how could anything exist to be able to become a subject of consciousness? does duality need a functioning organism or is that part of the illusion?

This post has received 2 votes up.
    • #6718 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Hello @aiden_cahill99 , a warm welcome to the YATU forum! 🙂

Thank you so much for your question, I am a moderator and will make sure it is forwarded to the authors. FYI, you can start your own topics with questions in any of the Book Chapter subforums, or if a question pops up while replying to another topic, that is also fine. The only thing we in the moderation team would like to ask everyone is to use @question in their text when submitting a Q to the authors. That will see to it that we don’t miss any questions in the abundance of discussions on the forum. You can read more in How to Submit a Question to the Authors.

Thank you again for contributing with your questions, they help everyone grow! Feel free to look around and interact with the community, there are a lot of friendly, interesting discussions here 🙂

• #6898 Score: 0

Deepak Chopra
      60 votes
      @deepakchopra

Dear @aiden_cahill99 , thank you for your question! I have answered in Readers Ask: What Role Do Body and Brain Play?

Love,
      Deepak

• #6714 Score: 1

ArtistG
    Participant
    1 vote
    @artistg

Since we humans create everything with our thoughts, then I assume that the universe originated in the same exact way- by one creator’s thoughts. The divine creator is God and his thought was to create one song, which is an amazing symphony with extraordinary notes. We humans are a note in the song, but we are also the song in its entirety, as well. That is how phenomenal the divine creator is. Everything is connected and a reflection of God the creator of the universal me, you, and all. I create paintings from my thoughts, which are moving and deeply connected to the origin and destiny of mankind. Angels work through me and with me. I approach blank canvases with a vague feeling and never know what will transpire, I am just led on one thought giving birth to another thought until it all comes together and appears as a harmonious, moving, beautiful painting… I believe the origin of the universe comes from the divine creators thoughts. But where did He come from, I do not know. I do follow Jesus and Saint Francis Of Assisi as they guide me on my journey and in my art work, which I know to be my divine purpose on earth. I trust that I have God with me, in me and in everything and everyone else around me. I can create anything with the divine energy that passes through me from Him… Bottom line God created the universe with His thoughts. #namaste peace and love

• #6719 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Namasté @artistg ! 🙂

Such a beautiful image of the world you have painted with your words! It seems to me that you are infused with the love and peace you wish everyone, that is wonderful. I’d love to see your paintings, would you care to share? (How to Post Images on YATU).
      Also, I wonder if you have noticed the blank canvas behind all our thoughts, all the stories we paint, our stories about people, things, angels, God, songs, destiny or mankind. As artists of life, we might be focused on the colours… but how about the canvas itself, the ground they arise in? What is that, in your understanding?

• #7282 Score: 0

Rogue
    Participant
    @rogue

I don’t think we can know the origin of the universe. we invented time to help our* selves navigate and order things so when we look to the origin we are looking for something that never existed whether it’s the origin of the universe or the beginning of time, neither happened…but then agaim I can’t suggest everyone is wrong without knowing I could be too?? I think the origin.of the universe is an unrefined question that needs work…?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X