Brain and Mind: Ever Expanding Awareness

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Aurora Carlson 4 years ago.

• Author

JenniferL
    Participant
    89 votes
    @jenniferl

Some thoughts I’m pondering…:)

In light of Dr. Chopra’s live video on brain and mind… What is emerging or expanding awareness? How does emerging/emergent/expanding awareness affect brain development and chemistry? How might it be useful to know this in light of the modern medical model?

Thinking of Darwin’s Evolutionary model and the adaptation of specific species to highly specified environments, how does the assimilation of what’s new, according to the expanding conscious entity experiencing self-development in a given spiritual practice, impact the ability to survive in a modern world? What might we want to let go of to allow ourselves to evolve with new ideas when presented to the awakening mind?

Love,
    Jennifer

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #4615 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
    Keymaster
    110 votes
    @aurorac

Jennifer, these are some awesome questions indeed!

Have you read “Superbrain” by Deepak Chopra and Rudolph Tanzi? I will just name a few of the themes in their book as possible answers to your question “How does emerging/emergent/expanding awareness affect brain development and chemistry?”.

– memory loss
    – depression
    – overweight
    – anxiety
    – personal crises
    – self-healing
    – maximum longevity
    – making God real

These and more are all aspects that are affected by expanding consciousness, according to the authors.

There are already many studies about all kinds of aspects of mind-body approaches as most researchers call it, but can you imagine how the world would change if this territory would be thoroughly and systematically researched and taught in schools and universities?

From my own experience (Ayurvedic living, meditation and yoga) I know that the well-being of body and mind expands with spiritual expansion. They are simply mirrors of the state of consciousness. This is so important to know, because when the collective field is waving with some new wave of stress, we can consciously remain in peace and help it return to balance.

I’m sure you have experiences about this issue, would you like to share?

• #4686 Score: 0

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Aurora,

Thank you for your response to my questions. Sorry for the delay, it took me a while to get back to you. I enjoy what you said, “I know that the well-being of body and mind expands with spiritual expansion. They are simply mirrors of the state of consciousness.”

My experience so far has been that my body is a responsibility (ability to respond to the energies of my body) and entirely made of energy, though I experience it as my body. This is a personal philosophy I’ve developed in the last few years, though a long time in the making from raising my family and protecting my children from unnecessary medical procedures when alternatives work just as well or better – such as learning to avoid mercury in dentistry or changing the environment instead of resorting to Ritalin (an ADHD drug, as you may know).

I happen to be very sensitive and often find ways to cure ailments outside the MD’s office with better results and often have insight about what to do when mainstream medical may not. You probably experience this, too, reading from your spiritual background with Ayurveda, Yoga, and meditation. I think that when we’re locked into a particular paradigm, we close the door to our higher modes of knowing, and since I’m not locked into believing that the mainstream medical paradigm can do it all for me, I’m free to use my intuition.

The struggles I have is that I don’t see the mainstream medical as an all or nothing adventure. There is some great work done there and sometimes bones need mending and hearts need fixing, and our hospitals offer tools for these things. However, I find that we’ve given too much power to medical science, which often doesn’t allow for a patient’s insight into his/her own health and wellness.

Thoughts? <3

Much love,
      Jennifer

• #4747 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Hi Jennifer, I fully understand what you say, you kind of describe my journey πŸ™‚ Big congratulations for not being limited to the mainstream point of view, that is how we mothers, healers and in general all of us mainstream-skeptics manage to do things considered “impossible”.

Like you, I have had to take a stand regarding mainstream medicine. I had been teaching Ayurveda for lots of years, pranic healing and had glided into quite some disdain for that aspect of healing, until one day my son fell from a tree he had climbed and cut his forehead. We took him to the ER to have the deep wound stitched (he didn’t want any anesthesia, he was maybe 8 yrs old and wanted to know how it feels to get stiches!) and suddenly there I was, a mom very grateful to mainstream medicine! πŸ™‚

So right that moment I decided to look at it and saw… that we all are the same One doing the doings! Mainstream, alternative, integrative, Eastern, Western and anything in between… who or what is “doing” all these doings if not consciousness, dreaming from its different levels. We are all that same Being and yes, we do have very different points of view and even different motivations. When the motivations are also the same (to help, to heal)… then why would there be any discord left?

So from that day on, I have no more energy knots, as I like to call them, regarding that issue. I guess the karmic load has been emptied, and I am gratefully free of separation. Of course, I still throw my hands up in the air sometimes, seeing what they do! πŸ™‚ But that just balances their eye-rolling whenever they hear what I do!

Does this resonate with you?

• #4757 Score: 0

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Aurora,

Your response is so beautifully written! I hope your son is fully recovered! My son has a scar on his forehead from an accident requiring an emergency room visit. For years this was his Harry Potter scar, and I think he almost believed it!

During the emergency room visit, while I was thankful for the advancement of modern medicine to patch my child back together with minimal scarring, I was also keenly aware of an indifferent attitude towards him. It was almost as if my son’s feelings about his treatment didn’t matter. We had to be strong advocates! I think my husband may have raised his voice at a doctor for carelessly ripping off a bandage, causing needless tears. There is a distinction between empathy and compassion vs. coddling. I’m accused of the latter, but see the need for empathy and compassion training in our medical facilities.

Your remarks about how your practice is viewed (rolling eyes) by the mainstream also brings it home for me. What’s the attitude? How do we overcome it?

My deepest desire is to co-create a better and more harmonious environment for everyone, where we’re free to independently take care of our basic needs while embracing the many schools, paradigms, and practices available. An intuitive person would go right to what they needed or wanted to find out about, while someone identified with any particular school of thought would overlook the obvious.

It’s lovely having this discussion with you! I appreciate your willingness to bring it through with me.

Love,
      Jennifer

• #4764 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Jennifer, of course- of course- my son’s scar was also a Harry Potter scar for a while! How about that! πŸ™‚
      But I don’t remember feeling that the doctors were uncaring, on the contrary. On the other hand…if they were, then that could have a million causes which all point to unhappy hearts, and what better way to expand my compassion than dealing with that?

I so much resonate with your vision of all people being guided by intuition to what they need. I too dream of social systems based on understanding that mechanism and its intelligence! How can we contribute to that?

• #4797 Score: 0

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Aurora,

Yes, compassion! The vibration shifts just thinking of it, remembering we’re all souls going through the same lessons in life. Love each other!

Love,
      Jennifer

p.s. …taking a backseat on this forum for just a little while. Staying strong during turbulent times in our neck of the woods – Oroville, CA!

• #4800 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Stay centered dear Jennifer! Sending much love and seeing you and your family well and strong!

• #4852 Score: 1

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Thank you, Aurora! <3
      Current events…a reminder to witness and not judge; ask and have it revealed.
      Love and light, Jennifer

• #5078 Score: 1

Robin
      Participant
      51 votes
      @robin

Hi JenniferL and Aurora,
      Just seeing this and wanted to chime in–my younger son also has a Harry Potter scar on his forehead! When he was a toddler, I was with my 3 kids at a big park and botanical gardens. My older son was about 8, at the time, and my daughter was 6 or so. She had an emergency need to pee (sorry if that language is inappropriate here?)–the bathroom was in a building about a football field down the hill but in plain view. Instead of making the boys, who were having fun playing in a kind of outdoor temple, schlep with me, so I asked my older son to stay there and keep an eye on his brother (this was in a much more innocent time, mind you!). As my daughter and I walked back up the hill, strangers were coming up to me saying, “Run!” I didn’t know what to expect, but there was my baby with a big gash on his forehead from falling on rocks that crossed a small stream flowing from the temple, and my older son holding him tight! A panicked dash to a nearby hospital ER while older son and daughter were staunching the bleeding in the car seat and eleven stitches later, he wore this scar.

This was years before there was a Harry, so he wore long bangs to conceal it for a long time. But now it just seems one of those badges of growing up–of many!

Curious to learn how we moms here have this in common!

• #5080 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Robin, you must be kidding!!! Haha… how awesome is this!?
      Soon we will have the possibility to mention other members so that @Jennifer_L also sees your message. I don’t know if she will right now, before that function is in place.

Three moms with Harry Potter sons on Deepak’s forum? I think I’ll make a question and send it to Deepak, so he can explain to us as you Robin say- how we moms here have this in common!

Laughing and enjoying our oneness! Sorry for the scars and blood and scare of all our sons… but I’m thinking that maybe on some level, they wanted that experience. Did your son say anything about the Harry Potter books later, Robin?

• #5086 Score: 1

Robin
      Participant
      51 votes
      @robin

Aurora, I think you can either see this as evidence of the randomness of the universe, or that we all are having the same experiences in some way, shape or form. And what would be the purpose of that except to bring us all closer and see that we are, in fact, ONE consciousness having the experiences of a lifetime.

Perhaps it takes the creation of a forum like this (another reality–or, better, another universe within cosmic awareness?) to be able to share and see how “in communion” we all are.

Anwyay, my kids are not so much Harry Potter fans, but the whole HP genre certainly has opened up a world for me as an author and creator of worlds with my book and learning series, Edge of Yesterday. (And much love to Deepak for allowing me to link to it!). Imagining new worlds is what my protagonist Charley sets about to do in her building of a time machine based on Leonardo da Vinci’s plans (that only now, 500 years after da Vinci, she has the science and technology to build…for the middle school science fair). And certainly, with his myriad inventions, curiosity and insights into how things worked, Leonardo was able to imagine the future that we are living today into being.

It’s like a superpower, the imagination. And Harry, for me, was one key to expanding that superpower in my own work. Love it!

• #5088 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Robin, I can no longer be among those who see synchronicities as random happenings. It’s too obvious that this is one Being, conversing and interacting with itself. The only question for me is – what is the meaning of it, what is our Being pointing to, that will help it/us realize itself/it even more?

I guess we all answer that in different ways, you through your exciting new book. Am very grateful that you are asking and answering! Our actions are the answers we give to our questions about our self.

• #5091 Score: 0

Robin
      Participant
      51 votes
      @robin

I don’t believe in random happenings either, Aurora. But to your question, “What is the meaning of it, what is our Being pointing to, that will help it/us realize itself/it even more?” I find myself turning to the poet T.S. Eliot’s poem, Four Quartets:

β€œWe shall not cease from exploration
      And the end of all our exploring
      Will be to arrive where we started
      And know the place for the first time.”

• #5082 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Here is my question to Deepak, let’s hope he replies!

Synchronicity on the Forum: 3 Harry Potter Moms

• #4733 Score: 1

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you very much for your great question. HERE are my thoughts.

I hope this helps and please let us know what you think.

Love,
    Deepak

• #4759 Score: 1

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Dear Dr. Chopra,

I recently saw an MD at a neurology clinic – more tests, we can’t find what’s wrong, overlooking the care of obvious symptoms, not his specialty, and made a referral to another clinic. Clearly upset by what appeared to be an indifferent attitude towards me, I made my way to the lab on the first floor of the building. The phlebotomist looked at me, and after an exchange of niceties said, “Clear your mind. Wake-up tomorrow and remember its a new day. Yesterday has passed. Whatever happened is gone.” Instantly, I saw the synchronicity in this occurrence and began to reorient myself, where I knew my higher faculties would be available to me to help me see my way through. The best medicine in the least likely of places…

The next day, you posted this video. I was in tears…joyful tears. Thank you, Dr. Chopra.

Love,
      JenniferL

• #5464 Score: 1

Roy
    Participant
    1 vote
    @roy

Good day Dr Deepak Chopra,

I recently joined this forum. I have been on ‘You are the Universe’ topic for days now, watching all the videos as well as reading all the articles published and cracking my head trying to figure it out. It is mind boggling and difficult to digest but I have made up my mind to agree with you that I’m the consciousness, not my mind, not my body.

I have OCD (intrusive thoughts) due to some trauma happened 20 years ago. So my question is if I’m the consciousness, why is it that I’m sabotaging myself by producing these intrusive thoughts. Worst still these disgusting thoughts are directed to Hindu Goddesses. Every time I have these disgusting thoughts I become disturbed and anxious. How come the psychiatric medication I’m taking is helping me but not my consciousness no matter how much I try. Therefore, could you or someone in this group help enlighten me with what’s happening to me.

If you ask me honestly, I hate to be on psychiatric medication but I do not seem to have any choice. Is there anyway out by using me (I mean my consciousness)

Thank you so much,

Your ardent fan,
    Roy

• #5498 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear @roy, a warm welcome to the YATU forum! I am so glad that you find the content here interesting and that it spurs new questions and possible points of view!

I am sure Dr. Chopra will answer in good time. Until then, I would like to ask you if you have tried working with a good therapist, to help you resolve the trauma behind the OCD. As I see it, medication can be a great way to keep it all at bay until it’s time to deal with the trauma itself. Another important tool for healing trauma is regular meditation. Have you tried it?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X