Connecting children to nature

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Menas Kafatos 4 years ago.

• Author

reena
    Participant
    1 vote
    @reena

We know that we humans have an innate affinity to the natural world, but we see that children today are spending less time in nature and more time indoors with media. What can we improve on, as educators and parents to encourage children to reconnect with nature ? It is people like you who have a powerful voice, Could you please use your influence, Deepak – work as an advocate to think about nature in improving health and wellbeing of children ?

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #5677 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
    Keymaster
    110 votes
    @aurorac

Dear @reena, a warm welcome to the forum! 🙂

Such a beautiful question you are asking, about a topic that is dear to my heart. I wonder if this issue is not also connected to the increasing urbanization of our planet, I heard that there are more people living in cities now than outside of them. Having grown up in a big city I know that the contact with and the love of nature doesn’t come as easily to city kids.
    I imagine that you are already doing something to improve this – would you like to share? I think any and all ideas are good to discuss and spread!

P.S. The best way to make sure your questions to the authors are not missed by the moderation team is to tag them with @question . Might be good to know for future questions 🙂 More info on this in our Support and Announcements forum: How to Submit a Question to the Authors

• #6384 Score: 0

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

Dear @reena, thank you for asking this question! I have answered in Readers Ask: Is Spending Time in Nature Healing?

Love,
    Deepak

• #6424 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear @reena:

If the children live in a city, one can take them to a park and spend time there, watching the trees, touching the trees; listening to flowing stream. During weekends, go outside of the city. Watch the stars.

It is a beautiful question and requires us to not be trapped by technology, letting the children e.g. watch TV because that is the easiest thing to “distract” them. To be mindful of what benefits them, and us!

love and respect,

Menas

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X