This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Deepak Chopra 3 years ago.

• Author

JenniferL
    Participant
    89 votes
    @jenniferl

Hello again,

Today I was reading YATU (111, 161-164) while doing my spiritual reading work.
    Here are my questions to the authors and discussion forum:

What is the level of consciousness we are observing? How do we know? Are we observing the personality of the universe? Or, the soul? How might this awareness change our perception?

In reflecting upon Deepak’s book, How to Know God, I understand so far that it is possible to become aware of the levels of consciousness, as we’re able to talk about and define these levels.

How might this awareness be applied to scientific observation? What should the implications be for scientific research?

“You will never trust your intuition until you identify with it (Deepak Chopra, How to Know God, pg.106).”

Thank you! <3

Love,
    JenniferL

This post has received 2 votes up.
  • #5659 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
    Keymaster
    110 votes
    @aurorac

Dear Jennifer, thank you so much for the question, I am looking forward to responses from the authors and the community! This question has been filed, but for further questions, please read the note below.

Note to all YATU members! 🙂
    We have a new system for submitting questions to the authors! We ask everyone to include the tag @question in their text from now on if they wish to file their question for submission to the authors. More info in our Support and Announcements forum: How to Submit a Question to the Authors

Thank you!

• #6280 Score: 0

Ana Sanjuan
    Participant
    11 votes
    @anitasanjuan

Thank you Jennifer and Aurora.

I have a question: @question How do we become an instrument of consciousness?

The context of my question is the following:

We know that humans are extensions of consciousness; we are THAT, we ARE consciousness. And Humans are aware of being aware, and we have choice in our thoughts and actions. By being aware of Qualia- our thoughts, images, feelings and thoughts- we can be intentional about embracing or reframing our qualia, and thus be actively creating our world.

When we are tuned in, we can source directly from consciousness- we can ask “consciousness, what would you like me to do? tobe? How may I serve today?” And if we listen, we will hear a clear answer.

So I have been playing with this in my daily life- tuning into source awareness and taking leads from it.

I am curious what the authors and our YATU forum members would advise are the tools for becoming, and deeping, our ability to be instruments of consciousness.

Thank you,

Ana Sanjuan

• #6281 Score: 1

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Hi Ana,
      I would say that any sense of separation is an illusion. So, consciousness isn’t a thing outside our being. I’ve understood it so far as consciousness is the essence of our being; the point from which all other points are created. Similarly, I might ask how do we recognize this highest point? How do we direct ourselves from our highest point? And, what is the vehicle of expression being utilized? How is our vehicle of expression utilized consciously? @question

What I’ve experienced so far, is that there is a flow of energy from above to below. When we let go, we’re letting go of the forms of expression in order to allow them to come into alignment naturally. This natural alignment is in accordance with our highest will recognizable to us at any point in time.

So, the question for me is what is my highest knowable self at this juncture and how do I demonstrate that? This is what I believe so far to be living in the flow. We let go of things like the past, the future outcomes, fears, doubts, time, location, etc…to allow what is to come into expression. Then the universe aligns with that intention to cradle us, because it is our reflection at the point of awareness.

I hope this shines a little light for you. I appreciate your questions, as I bring my own awareness to our shared creation of something which is beautiful.

Namaste!
      Love,
      JenniferL

This post has received 1 vote up.
    • #6776 Score: 0

Deepak Chopra
      60 votes
      @deepakchopra

Dear @jenniferl , here is my answer to your question Readers Ask: How Do We Recognize and Live from the Essence of Being?

Love,
      Deepak

• #6333 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Ana ( @anitasanjuan ),

such a beautiful question you ask! It will be great to hear the answers of the authors.
      I love the way you describe your insights and goal, and I find that Jennifer’s ( @jenniferl ) description harmonizes with yours.

My view is similar to what you both describe and to answer your question Ana, to be a perfect mindbody instrument of consciousness one needs to walk the path guided by the inner compass. Every one of us starts from a different set of conditioning factors and in order to free ourselves from them we need to take a certain path unique to our personal make up. But in essence, all we need to do is discern between the real and the unreal at every step. Whatever object, thought, feeling or situation we observe, we can ask: is this real?.

If the reality of the observed is relative… then we can discard it, meaning we can free ourselves from believing in its existence independent of and separate from the observer. In this way, slowly, all experiences of any kind are realized as one’s own creations. Slowly, the separate identity dissolves, fear and struggle subside, love and gratitude shine unrestricted and we find ourselves at home in simply Being, which is, at any moment, becoming. We allow the Real (consciousness) to become the Unreal (experience) without ego involvement but with full, passionate participation.

In short, how do we become an instrument of consciousness? By going through whatever stories we need to go through in order to realize that everything is consciousness 🙂

• #6629 Score: 0

Deepak Chopra
      60 votes
      @deepakchopra

Dear Ana ( @anitasanjuan ), thank you for your question! I have answered in Readers Ask: How Can We Be Instruments of Consciousness?

Love,
      Deepak

• #6342 Score: 1

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

Dear @jenniferl , thank you for your initial question! I have answered in Readers Ask: Does Our State of Consciousness Determine Experience?

Love,
    Deepak

• #6357 Score: 2

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Hi Jennifer, Ana, Aurora ( @jenniferl @anitasanjuan @aurorac):

The questions: “What is the level of consciousness we are observing? How do we know? Are we observing the personality of the universe? Or, the soul? How might this awareness change our perception?

In reflecting upon Deepak’s book, How to Know God, I understand so far that it is possible to become aware of the levels of consciousness, as we’re able to talk about and define these levels.

How might this awareness be applied to scientific observation? What should the implications be for scientific research?”

“You will never trust your intuition until you identify with it (Deepak Chopra, How to Know God, pg.106).”

What we are proposing in YATU is that experience is how the universe manifests out of conscious Awareness. This is what we call qualia. And indeed, as Deepak says, intuition has to be identified with. I may add that intuition is the inner Knowingness. Einstein, Bohr, Heisenberg, Bohm, all the great scientists and all great philosophers trusted their intuition. The “trick” is to identify true intuition from plays of the mind, which are driven by the ego. Here, results are a good guide. We know if what we intuited was correct from the results. This is how we learn in “everyday” life and in “spiritual” life, which are really not different from each other

Best,

Menas

• #6363 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Thank you for this beautiful answer Menas! 🙂 Yes, the trick is to discern which one is the voice of the ego and which one is our true self. Discernment at every step is necessary, a willingness to be real rather than right. It feels terribly risky to the ego and totally liberating to the Self!

• #6409 Score: 0

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Dear @menask & @aurorac ,

Menas wisely mentioned, “The “trick” is to identify true intuition from plays of the mind, which are driven by the ego.”
      To which Aurora replied beautifully, “Yes, the trick is to discern which one is the voice of the ego and which one is our true self.”

I just opened the Gita and started reading where my eyes fell…
      Bhagavad Gita: 6:35-36

35 The mind is indeed restless, Arjuna: it is indeed hard to train. But by constant practice and by freedom from passions the mind in truth can be trained.
      36 Where the mind is not in harmony, this divine communion is hard to attain; but the man whose mind is in harmony attains it, if he knows and if he strives.

You both give us hints.
      Menas said that all great scientists trusted their intuition, and “we know if what we intuited was correct from the results[of the scientific method].”
      And, Aurora gives us another perspective, “It feels terribly risky to the ego and totally liberating to the Self!”

How to be discerning?

With love,
      JenniferL

• #6410 Score: 2

krista
      Participant
      24 votes
      @krista

Hi @jenniferl,

Love your posts! I don’t post a lot but am always present, silently witnessing. Krishna is one of my favorite teachers. The quotes above remind me of a poem I wrote.

I pray for peace of mind
      So I can focus on my spirit
      And bring it to life
      I pray for my mind to stop
      So my spirit can begin its dance

Thanks for all your sharing!
      Much love, Krista

• #6412 Score: 1

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Dear Krista ( @krista )

It’s always a pleasure hearing from you and reading your insightful poetry! Inspired by your lines, “so I can focus on my spirit and bring it to life…”

Am I self-empowered
      To know
      This from that?

Does my guidance
      Come from
      Within or without?

By constant reflection
      I’ll find my way
      In the expanding awareness
      Of my being

Dr. Chopra responded to a question asked about guidance with the following quote (In Ask Deepak – On February 27, 2017: Following Guidance): If you feel a deep sense of peace about what you are doing even though you may not get exactly what your mind wants, then you are probably acting from reliable guidance.

With love in coming together!
      JenniferL

• #6407 Score: 1

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Dear Menas, ( @menask )

Thank you for the clarification! <3 When science and spirituality seem at odds, it’s a powerful reflection to recognize that some of the greats, such as you mentioned, are/were intuitive. And I would add from my experiences so far, the utilization of the Intuition is a faculty developed in the meditation and yoga practices of spiritual science, which isn’t far away from the practice of the focused attention and contemplation of our modern scientists in their one-pointed endeavor, I’m so appreciative of!

Love,
      JenniferL

• #6404 Score: 1

Ana Sanjuan
    Participant
    11 votes
    @anitasanjuan

Thank you @jenniferl, @aurorac, @menask for your replies.

I appreciate the reframe from Jennifer:

“I’ve understood it so far as consciousness is the essence of our being; the point from which all other points are created. Similarly, I might ask how do we recognize this highest point? How do we direct ourselves from our highest point? And, what is the vehicle of expression being utilized? How is our vehicle of expression utilized consciously?”

Also appreciate Aurora’s contribution

to be a perfect mindbody instrument of consciousness one needs to walk the path guided by the inner compass. Every one of us starts from a different set of conditioning factors and in order to free ourselves from them we need to take a certain path unique to our personal make up. But in essence, all we need to do is discern between the real and the unreal at every step. Whatever object, thought, feeling or situation we observe, we can ask: is this real?”

Aurora and Jennifer, and others, what would you say are the criteria for assessing whether an object, thought feeling or situation we observe is “real?”

Love- Ana

• #6406 Score: 1

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Ana ( @anitasanjuan ),

Thank you for your question, “Aurora and Jennifer, and others, what would you say are the criteria for assessing whether an object, thought feeling or situation we observe is “real?”

I’ve learned, so far, to put it in terms of oneness. If whatever we are defining is limiting, separating, time or space oriented, us vs. them, or harmful in any way, then it is temporary in time/space and part of limiting beliefs or awareness, while absolute consciousness is whole, holy, sanctified, and includes every hair on our heads.

With lots of love,
      JenniferL

• #6405 Score: 0

Ana Sanjuan
    Participant
    11 votes
    @anitasanjuan

Thank you @menask! Would you share possible answers to the question you pose below?

The questions: “What is the level of consciousness we are observing? How do we know? Are we observing the personality of the universe? Or, the soul? How might this awareness change our perception? In reflecting upon Deepak’s book, How to Know God, I understand so far that it is possible to become aware of the levels of consciousness, as we’re able to talk about and define these levels.”

How might this awareness be applied to scientific observation? What should the implications be for scientific research?”

Love- Ana

• #6411 Score: 0

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Dear Ana ( @anitasanjuan ),

These were the questions I originally posted to the authors, in case you weren’t aware (I wasn’t sure?). I would love to hear more of your perspective, too. Your questions and insights are evocative! You really get my mind creating!

Love,
      JenniferL

• #6528 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear @jenniferl @anitasanjuan @krista , such a fruitful discussion this is!

Jennifer, as we were talking about spirit and ego, you asked:
      “How to be discerning?”

I agree with Krista‘s beautiful poem (thanks for being present here Krista 🙂 ) saying that quieting the mind reveals spirit. But still, spirit uses the human mind, spirit or consciousness is the human mind, there is nothing else!

In any case, my answer to your question would be that there are many ways to discern, but one that is natural for me is to always notice when I habitually consider something impossible. The “reasons” for the “impossible”, if you listen carefully, are always about something outside of the self. It’s impossible because he/she/it is or does something, because “they” are or do this or that, or because I lack this or that which is not already within me.

Every time I hear myself having that inner dialogue I stop and smile, and remember that whatever the “reason”, it is also in me, in that which I actually am, meaning awareness. If there is a genuine desire to explore in that direction, I then give the issue attention from the intention of finding out if there truly are limits. And if “the world” or/and “the person” start changing accordingly… well, then I smile again, for this too was an impossibility I had agreed to long ago when I identified with a limited point of view. I loved that the authors of YATU also hint to this when they say, somewhere towards the end of the book, that it is up to humanity to continue to explore what can be changed from within the human consciousness. I think we are all doing just that.

I know that Menas is a climate expert and I long for a discussion (and collective action?) about our possibilities to consciously balance our planet’s climate … I have experimented a lot with weather phenomena and I know I’m not the only one.

Dear Ana, you ask:
      “what would you say are the criteria for assessing whether an object, thought feeling or situation we observe is “real?”

Well… that’s exactly it! If you can observe it, it isn’t real! As I described above, limits, for example, can be observed. And as soon as one remembers that the observed is not “out there”, meaning separate and independent of the observing I, one realizes that the observed is a creation of mind, meaning not ultimately real. The creations of mind have their own relative reality, and it is fun, for that is what the world is… but nothing of what we see, sense, think, feel, etc is actually real. It is all Maya, the playground of consciousness 🙂

If my thoughts bring up other thoughts in you, dear friends gathered on this playground, I’d love to hear them!

• #6633 Score: 1

SteveCostello
    Participant
    14 votes
    @stevecostello

Conscious awareness and the ego are very clear for me, like two friends, one who is hectic and the other is very calm and peaceful. The hectic ego can be told, ‘hang on a minute, that needs some thought,’ or, ‘no, that’s not right.’ Sometimes it will respond with a sulk but it can be managed.
    The calm and peaceful consciousness has a wonderful presence which washes through me like perfectly warmed water accompanied by clear mountain air. It has no comparison, it is unique and I recognize it always (not in the earlier segments of this life). It instinctively manages the ego yet the two are friends.
    Peace, Love & Happiness, Steve C

• #6653 Score: 0

Ana Sanjuan
    Participant
    11 votes
    @anitasanjuan

Thank you @stevecostello. I appreciate your post and the description you share. I have the same experience- knowing clearly the difference between my ego and conscious awareness.Sometimes, I need to pause and check myself. “Like who is operating the bus here?”

Steve, you captured this difference and partnership so beautifully.

I am currently reading Thich Nhat Hahn’s personal journal from his years 1962- 1966. His writing is so calming, so clear and direct. There is a sense of joy and acceptance for all qualities of life- including the ego, negativities, and challenges inherent in the human experience. In your post I hear the same honoring and acceptance for what is.

Thank you.

@anitasanjuan

• #6658 Score: 0

SteveCostello
    Participant
    14 votes
    @stevecostello

Thanks @anitasanjuan, that book is on my list. Thank you Steve

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X