Deepak Chopra: 22 Aphorisms- A short Guide to Instant Realization

////Deepak Chopra: 22 Aphorisms- A short Guide to Instant Realization

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Aurora Carlson 3 years ago.

• Author

Aurora Carlson
    Keymaster
    110 votes
    @aurorac

In his video today, Deepak Chopra presented his twenty two aphorisms that can lead to enlightenment. I have written them down, here they are for anyone who would like to study them:

Deepak Chopra: 22 Aphorisms- A Short Guide to Instant Realization
    Understand the nature of reality through the intellect, bypassing the intellect

1) There is existence.
    2) There is awareness or knowing of existence.
    3) Without the knowing of existence, there can be no notion of existence.
    4) Therefore existence and knowing (awareness of existence) are synonymous.
    5) Awareness knows of existence by knowing itself as both the subject and object of experience.
    6) Knowing is in the form of sensing, perceiving, feeling and thinking and then exploring through imagination, curiosity, intuition and creativity.
    7) All of the above qualities are modifications or modified forms or exaltations of consciousness.
    8) Humans conceptualize modes of knowing and objectify them as constructs called mind body and universe
    9) That which humans call mind brain and body are also modes of knowing
    10 ) The mind, brain and body are not containers of awareness but experiences in awareness
    11) That which humans call the universe is also an experience in awareness
    12) All experience is awareness knowign itself as the above modifications of awareness.
    13) Body mind and universe are human constructs for modes of knowing and have no intrinsic reality. They are an intermittent stream of the above modifications of awareness.
    14) Therefore, there is only awareness.
    15) Awareness has no form.
    16) Having no form, it is not in space-time (it is non-local).
    17) As timeless being, awareness is eternal, self-organizing, self- regulating, self-evolving as the appearance of innumerable forms and phenomena.
    18) All forms and phenomena are verbs not nouns, endlessly arising and subsiding as modifications of awareness.
    19) Awareness is present in every form and phenomenon as the knower, knowing and known.
    20) Knowing yourself as timeless non-local awareness frees you from constructs such as mind body universe birth and death.
    21) Reality is formless awareness is inconceivable but is knowable as the feeling “I”.
    22) Freedom from karma is this self-realization.

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #7303 Score: 1

Robin
    Participant
    51 votes
    @robin

An amazing list. The final aphorism really hits home for me: Freedom from karma is self-realization. So breaking the bounds of the conditioned mind brings us greater awareness that frees us from the constraints of the past.

Would that all those who are suffering under the illusion of their own limitations could experience this unboundedness that opens us to the joy of simply … B E I N G. One expression of which acronym might be: Breaking (Free) from Ego and Illusion to Now (Know) God-ness (Goodness).

Hope others will share their own interpretation of B E I N G here.

• #7305 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Loved your acronym Robin! 🙂

All those who suffer under the illusion of their own limitations… that is a lot of people. Some while ago I witnessed the celebration of the national liberation day of a country still troubled by much conflict, poverty and suffering. All those people who were seriously identified with that karma, they were partying while also weeping, they had been fighting for generations. It’s so easy to sympathize, for as progressive people we want liberty and justice for everyone. But can anyone be liberated as a nation? Or as an individual? That kind of liberation, even if it arrives, is still in the ever-changing dream. If you’re caught in it, if that’s who you believe you are, suffering will sooner or later arrive.

Only when one ponders what Deepak said in the above list is true liberation anywhere near. At that national celebration, I walked among sleeping people, and wondered how to help them wake up from the troubling dream… But then I realized I was only dreaming. I wanted to help the pixels on the screen realize they are just pixels, haha!

• #7306 Score: 0

Robin
    Participant
    51 votes
    @robin

That is funny, Aurora. Do you think we’re also pixels, as well, but just pixels who know that we’re pixels watching other pixels? Because we’re just dreaming that they’re dreaming. And maybe others are dreaming of us dreaming of those others, en abime, as the French would say.

That image perfectly describes the holographic nature of the universe, doesn’t it?

So, to me, the question remains: who, or what, or where, is awake?

• #7313 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Yes Robin, “we” is just an idea consisting of pixels of sensory experience in the one consciousness! “We” do not dream, consciousness dreams “us”. There is no “me” and “others” dreaming, there is only consciousness dreaming!

Who, what, where is awake? Well… that question doesn’t arise if there is a realization that there is only consciousness holding within itself all the imaginary entities, locations and moments!

Love! 🙂

• #7319 Score: 0

Marc
    Participant
    2 votes
    @marc

Hi All,

That’s a great list. I understand it.

I’ve been on this journey to understand ‘me’ for a little while. The YATU book was a big step for me which had only fueled my desire to understand more. While I took a took a lot away from it (I read it twice back to back) I was still wrestling with a few things, which led me here to this site which helped. Deepak in one of his videos mentioned Spira. Yesterday while reading Spira’s Nature of Consciousness during the chapter ‘Consciousness’s Dream’, something ‘clicked’. I had a rather sudden moment of realisation which was accompanied with an increase in my heart rate, breathe and even tearing up. My mind raced with this ‘finally understanding’ moment. It’s almost as if the secret to the Universe was suddenly revealed. It’s Awareness. I understand. (Aurora, I even tweeted at you and Deepak at that moment, just to scream, “I GET IT NOW!!!”.) Even thinking of it now I feel emotional.

While I know this is only just the beginning of a new journey for me, with this new understanding I am already seeing how it is affecting the way I see and respond to everything. However, I too am wondering how can I help humanity understand this? I know I’m still new on my journey and cannot properly articulate this that I now know. For now, I guess I’ll just remain open to what else will be revealed.

Just wanted to share.

Love to all.
    Marc

• #7322 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

I’m SO happy for you, Marc! This is an amazing breakthrough, you have managed to break out of the collective mirage and know reality. A truly great moment! Congratulations!!

Of course you have a lot of questions now, of course questions arise as the mind re-adjusts to a whole different way of functioning. What is most amazing is that the questions are of a whole other nature now, as your perspective has shifted. Dear Marc, don’t hesitate to connect with others who “get it” here and everywhere, for your experience is shared by many and by connecting we consolidate our insights and build a new world. I hope you know that anything you wonder in this process, you can ask Deepak directly by emailing him at [email protected] , he will answer on Facebook live. Deepak has been guiding and helping people like you and me for ages, and your questions are shared by all on the path, so this is truly the dialogue of the One consciousness on the way to realize itself.

My answer to your question, as I keep asking it, is that wherever I am and whatever I do, I need to come from that identity which I now know is reality. There’s an intuitive, heart-centered knowing, for every situation, of how I should act in such way that the old collective patterns can be seen through. So there is not a “mental plan”, at least for me 🙂 I walk with the life dream, staying as awake as I can, even as the scenery seems so convincing sometimes. I use the gifts of this particular personality in the best possible way. In meetings with people, depending on the degree of awakening, sometimes I encourage, sometimes I just don’t participate in the crazy patterns- which can be very disconcerting to those fast asleep but a big help for those on their way to waking up. I like asking such people- but why? Why are you doing/thinking that? It sometimes helps make other options visible. Some are ready to face the big question- who are you? – without running away into some construct. Such moments are magical.

I think you’ll love life lived from here 🙂 There are many people who are awakening, which is what we are here for. I’m smiling with you Marc, sending so much love and wishing you joyful existence!

• #7324 Score: 0

Marc
    Participant
    2 votes
    @marc

Thank you @aurorac. I smiled as I read your reply (and again a little teary, this all seems to bring my feelings closer to the surface) as I again am clearly understanding what you are saying. I’ve been lurking here for a little and though I think I have been getting the essence of the discussions, some bits seemed a little over my head. So far that seems not to be so much the case now.

I have some dear friends visiting me from the US and last night we went to visit some mutual friends. It was a little strange as these were people I knew well and was comfortable around, but it was hard to participate in the discussions as I was seeing things so differently now. Unfortunately no one there is on this path yet. As you so nicely put it, they were still very much fast asleep. My reaction was to just ‘be’ and observe. Both myself and them. There was nothing else I could do. I did feel a little disconnected.

Of my friends (in the true sense of the word), I can think of only one that has been seeking (and his wife to a lesser extent). In fact I give him a bit of credit in steering me along my journey by sharing his, however I have noticed that he ‘ebbs and flows’ a bit, sometimes fully asleep, sometimes stirring from the slumber. I haven’t seen him since this shift in me, but I should soon. I feel each persons spiritual journey is very personal, so I am very wary of imposing my beliefs or actively influencing others on theirs. If the opportunity arrives and it feels right and I know it can be appreciated, I will share. He is someone that welcomes a good discussion.

I have one small request. Could you give me some guidance on any literature that would help me along? Interestingly I’ve never been a huge reader, but even that seems to be changing. I am yearning to learn more.

My apologies if the above has ‘hijacked’ this thread a bit (wow, just realised how long it looks).

All the best,
    Marc

• #7325 Score: 0

Marc
    Participant
    2 votes
    @marc

Another observation: strangely enough the ego has not tried to influence this (as yet). I do not feel superior to any with this new knowledge. If anything I feel I understand people a bit more, I feel more compassion towards them and a little lonely.

I promise, I’ll stop now. 🙂

• #7330 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Marc, no need to feel lonely. As you see, there are many new friends appearing and you might very well start noticing other people in your life. As we move along in our evolution, it is naturally so that we can connect in deeper ways with even more people.

Also, I see that you are wanting to keep the ego from hijacking the experience. That is very good, we all need to learn to distinguish what is what. A little tip I’d like to offer is that the ego has many faces. So beware of the inflated ego, but do not let the deflated ego hijack your life either. You are not bigger than reality, nor are you smaller 🙂 You are IT, in its entirety, and only the ego could stop you from expressing that wholeness, simply by convincing you that you are small and irrelevant.

So do express, freely, that which comes from knowing. Both here on this topic, on this forum and in all of life, we have actually gathered for one purpose alone: to awaken as the one being.

Regarding books, the first name that came to me besides Deepak was the one @sree mentioned- Eckhart Tolle. You might love to read some of the ancient texts too, like the Yoga Vashistha. If you like Western philosophic thought maybe read some Berkeley and Locke, or the master of transpersonal psychology Ken Wilber (A Brief History of Everything is a delightful book). If you like poetry don’t miss Tagore and Rumi, giants from the Eastern tradition, and T.S Elliot, Edgar Allan Poe, Maya Angelou, William Blake, Rainer Maria Rilke… Also, I for one will want to read Deepak’s book he said he will write around the above aphorisms 🙂

Many have, in their writings, expressed the discovery we all make sooner or later, including our dear friend @krista. We can’t discover reality by reading books, but reading from others who describe transcendent experience can either inspire us to keep searching, or helps consolidates our own experience. I hope you follow your inner drive wherever it takes you Marc. Enjoy!

• #7328 Score: 0

Sree
    Participant
    22 votes
    @sree

Dear Marc, this is one hijacking I’m happy to be a part of ! 🙂 It is so exciting to hear about your transformation; and everything you say about it seems truly authentic.

You asked Aurora for reading suggestions, and I couldn’t resist jumping in… of course, anything by Deepak will be helpful, as will Eckhart Tolle’s seminal book, The Power of Now. Among Deepak’s many books, i remember The Book of Secrets being especially helpful.

I hope you will participate here more actively. The world needs more awake people like you.

Love,
    sree

• #7331 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Sree, all these years I’ve known you, I can’t think of one instance when I’ve not cheered when you “couldn’t resist” saying something 🙂

• #7329 Score: 1

krista
    Participant
    24 votes
    @krista

Dear @marc

Thanks for sharing your story! I can totally relate. When our perception changes, it is like seeing everything in a new light. Now the journey gets interesting and fun! Good morning sunshine! Enjoy!

Dear @sree
    You are so funny!

Much love, Krista

• #7332 Score: 0

Marc
    Participant
    2 votes
    @marc

Dear all,

Thank you very much for the kind words and encouragement. I have visited here in the past, but now with this new insight it’s a bit different. It is comforting to have somewhere that I know I can turn to and continue exploring this new world.

@aurorac thanks for the advice regarding the ego. I had not thought of it presenting as the deflated ego.

@aurorac @sree thanks also for the book suggestions. I have read Tolle, but I’m now tempted to give them a read once again. I suspect with this new perspective I may take away more from them. I’m currently going back over the last few chapters of YATU. As I suspected I’m having quite a few “ah,yes” moments. I see a lot of reading in my future. LOL

@krista yes, there is more clarity for want of a better word. It’s just different. I’ll continue to be open as I navigate this new world.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome.

One Love,
    Marc

• #7333 Score: 0

Robin
      Participant
      51 votes
      @robin

Dear Marc,
      I very much want to echo what everyone is saying here. We meet here in a field freed of human constructs, hoping to further awaken ourselves and the world. That is the gift of this community. I treasure the common bonds we can thread, as we each wish, in our own ways, to evolve beyond our conditioning, beyond the constraints of the ego, to awaken further. It is ever-more essential to find and share the light, as so many dark forces in the world today would have us subsumed in their drama, and so many of us have been sleepwalking far too long. Together, we can ripple out that light ever farther, as when a pebble drops into a lake the rings spread in every broadening circles of inclusion.

Welcome to the awakening!
      Robin

• #7335 Score: 0

Marc
    Participant
    2 votes
    @marc

Dear @robin,

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts and the welcome. Much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Marc

• #7356 Score: 1

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Hello Everyone! xoxoxox!

@marc …and hello to you, too! You mentioned, “I have some dear friends visiting me from the US and last night we went to visit some mutual friends. It was a little strange as these were people I knew well and was comfortable around, but it was hard to participate in the discussions as I was seeing things so differently now.”

@krista…in love says, “When our perception changes, it is like seeing everything in a new light.”

@robin…your magic with words, “It is ever-more essential to find and share the light, as so many dark forces in the world today would have us subsumed in their drama, and so many of us have been sleepwalking far too long. Together, we can ripple out that light ever farther, as when a pebble drops into a lake the rings spread in every broadening circles of inclusion.”

@aurorac…so eloquently put, “So do express, freely, that which comes from knowing [knowing and ‘light’ are synonymous terms]. Both here on this topic, on this forum and in all of life, we have actually gathered for one purpose alone: to awaken as the one being.”

@sree…with abundant understanding says, ” It is so exciting to hear about your transformation; and everything you say about it seems truly authentic.”

To which I say, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Marc. What an inspiration you are for us all to come together! I’ll further add, In that light, ye shall see light, in awe and wonderment of the created whole found in each and everyone one of us. I have a spiritual teacher who always reminds me to “speak to the Soul, and the Soul responds…leave the personality behind you.”

With Love and Gratitude,
      JenniferL

• #7361 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Hello dear @jenniferl ! It’s so good to hear that you are in love and gratitude. I was wondering how you are doing, and now I know you are well. I hope you let the good spread far and wide! xoxo

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X