Do We Live in a Conscious Universe?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Aurora Carlson 4 years ago.

• Author

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

In this video I am reading a few passages and answering a question about the chapter Do We Live in a Conscious Universe?. I am also discussing mind brain, perception and experience.

Question:
    “What is first, second and third party consciousness and how are they used in science today? Can the understanding of these terms and their importance help science advance?”

Let me know what you think!

Love,
    Deepak

• #5141 Score: 1

Robin
    Participant
    51 votes
    @robin

If we speak of humans as the expression of universal consciousness, I think about how our sensory organs are uniquely formed to receive, contain and create specific modes of thought or behavior. We have noses, so we smell certain things at a certain range (dogs, for example, have a much greater range and, we might assume, spectrum of smell, if one could measure such a thing). Our brains process sight in a specific way based on our eye structure, and so on.

And we process thought and communicate via our unique system of language, which is linear–one word at a time–and assumes that cause leads to effect. This, then, becomes our basis for understanding our reality.

I have just finished reading Ted Chaing’s short story, “This Is Your Life”, on which the film “Arrival” is based. In it, a linguist is brought in to interpret the language of the aliens, whom they dub heptapods, based on the fact that they have 7 limbs and 7 eyes. These beings have a whole different way of processing information, which is based on purpose. They are able to see the end in the beginning as all time is happening in their now, and the way they express it in written form implies the end in the beginning. Here’s how Chaing expresses it through the linguist, Louise:

“What distinguishes the heptapods’ mode of awareness is not just that their actions coincide with history’s events; it is also that their motives coincide with history’s purposes. They act to create the future, to enact chronology.” Free will is not even part of their understanding.

Once she’s learned and starts thinking in the heptapods language, Louise is able to “know” (as they do) the future and the present as well as the past. She sees that she will have a daughter and experiences her daughter’s death at 25, before she even “decides” to become pregnant–because that is her own “history’s purpose.” She has no choice except to follow this path that she sees as happening already. She can’t tell anyone, even her husband-to-be and father of her daughter, how her perceptions have changed, nor would he understand it if she did, but it changes her experience of her whole life.

So my question is, how does our “human beingness” conscribe us to a story tailored uniquely to the ways our biology is set up to receive, channel and process it? And could we evolve past those limitations, just as Louise has opened up a new way of seeing and being after interacting with these aliens and seeing things through their eyes and ears, so to speak?

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #5563 Score: 1

Elan
    Participant
    9 votes
    @elan

Synchronicity

Deepak
    Recently on the forums someone mentioned
    the First book “Biocentrism” (Robert Lanza) which you talked about previously years ago when it was released

This was 2 days ago and I commented that I also wanted to see a new book from Lanza on Biocentrism
    Then I checked and this morning this was released! (1 day after I mentioned I hoped there would soon be a new book)

Synchronicity!!

Well in this new book “Beyond Biocentrism” Lanza goes into the questions like
    “Can computers and machine/AI ever be able to think and feel?
    “Consciousness is an enigma squared” he says..

It goes into the entire question of consciousness and how unique it is.
    This book is a duplicate of your new book I don’t see how it could be any more parallel to your
    “You are The universe” Seriously this has ALL of the material you have in the new book
    Did you know this?

I consider this an amazing synchronicity since I had just mentioned I would like to read a new book by
    Robert Lanza a sequel to Biocentrism…then it is released a day later.

Can Computers, AI, Machine Learning develop consciousness eventually? Deepak Chopra, MD

This post has received 1 vote up.
    • #5567 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Haha, Elan, nice synchronicity! Especially as Deepak has just responded to a new question about AI at the same time as all that was happening for you 🙂
      You can find all Deepak’s answers on AI here if interested.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X