God, You, and the Universe

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Richa 4 years ago.

• Author

Richa
    Participant
    32 votes
    @richa

Dear Dr. Chopra,

In “You are the Universe,” you express that the universe is self-organizing. Often times, we hear people say, “Have faith in God. God has created everyone’s destiny. God has a plan for everyone. Leave everything to God.” Is God the universe? Sometimes, we have plans in life, but things do not happen as planned. How is God responsible for what happens in the lives of us humans? How does the universe organize what occurs in our lives? What ought to be God’s role in our lives, and how should one connect with God and the universe in daily life?

I pray every day, and I have faith in God, but I am struggling with this question at this time. I would really appreciate it if you can address this question.

Thank you so much.

Deepest regards,

Richa

This post has received 2 votes up.
  • #5657 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
    Keymaster
    110 votes
    @aurorac

Dear Richa, thank you so much for your question, I look forward to the answer from the authors! This question has been filed, but for further questions, please read the below note:

Note to all YATU members! 🙂
    We have a new system for submitting questions to the authors! We ask everyone to please include @question in their text from now on if they wish to file their question for submission to the authors. More info in our Support and Announcements forum: How to Submit a Question to the Authors

Thank you!

• #6093 Score: 0

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

Dear @richa , thank you so much for your question! I have answered in Readers Ask: What Is Faith? Is It Necessary?

Love,
    Deepak

• #6109 Score: 1

Richa
    Participant
    32 votes
    @richa

Dear Dr. Deepak Chopra,

I would like to humbly express my deepest gratitude to you for answering my question. As you said, “Who is it or what is it that wants to know the answers to this question? Obviously you would say, ‘It’s me or it’s ‘I’ who wants to know the answers to these questions.’ Then I would ask you, ‘Who is the ‘I’ that wants to know the answers to these questions? What is the ‘I’ that wants to know?’ And then the second question I would ask you is what do you mean by the word, God? That is a very loaded word, because people all over the world are fighting by what they mean by God. Most of the religions, if not all, come to us from ancient times. They are (in a sense) bronze age mythology, concepts that our ancestors developed a long, long time ago. We usually refer to God based on our religious conditioning. Till we can answer these the questions, ‘who or what is the ‘I’ asking the question wants to know’ and ‘what do we mean by God,’ then your question is very difficult to answer if we don’t know what do we mean by God. Let’s start with both. I would like to say that when we say ‘I’, it is awareness or the ground of our being that is asking the question. ‘I’ is the field of awareness or the formless awareness in which all experience occurs which includes the experience of sense perceptions that we call body and universe or matter and also includes emotions, and that in their rudimentary forms are basically pleasure and pain, joy and suffering, something that moves us in the direction of pleasure and away from the direction of pain in a rudimentary form than all the finer emotions that develop or new answers that develop including things like truthfulness, beauty, harmony, love, compassion, joy, equanimity, and the opposite, fear, hostility, anger, guilt, and shame. In our awareness, we have all the experience that which we call mind, that which we call body, and that which we call the world, that is who is asking the question at the most fundamental level. What do we mean by God. God is the ground of all existence. If we totally understand that there is only one ground of all existence, the ground of my being is also the ground of your being. This is the ground of the universe. There is God, only God. Everything else is an experience. God experiences herself, himself, itself as you, as me. All are modes of knowing in experience. If you look at this in a careful manner, we will realize that both, we the awareness that asks the question and that ground of being which is the ultimate source of all existence, they are fundamentally the same divinity. You are a speck of divinity in an ocean of divinity. The ocean is also in the speck. As Rumi says, ‘We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.’ He says, ‘the stars made a circle and in the middle, we dance.’ Both you, the fundamental being and also the ground of all existence. Both, that which you call God and that which you call ‘I’ are formless. They are both formless, formless being. So that also means timeless. Timeless also means eternal. That which we call God is formless and that which we call ‘I’ is also formless…The ‘I’ with which I see God is the same as the ‘I’ through which God sees me…formless, interacting with itself, becomes all form and phenomenon…formless, no color, no sound, no hardness, no softness…no attributes becomes all attributes. At this time, I would like to speak about belief and faith. Here is my take. I think all belief is a cover up for insecurity. If I ask you whether you believe in electricity, you would say, ‘No, I am using it right now to light up the room or I am using it right now to speak here.’ Do you believe in gravity? I don’t need to. I experience it. Do you believe in space time? Of course, we move and breathe and experience reality in what we call space time. So no need for belief, all you need is experience and knowledge. When you have experience and knowledge, then at the deepest level you realize that everything that we call a reality, everything that we have given the name to, everything that we have described in language, then that is a human construct for experience and modes of knowing and experience in human consciousness through another construct that we call the human brain. Then at this point we are ready to discard all beliefs about things we need to believe because religious authorities said so or things we need to believe because a guru said so or things we need to believe because they are written in some book. That is a stage we must go over and once we get rid of belief, then we have faith. Finally, when you let go of belief, you are ready for faith. What is faith? Faith is the certainty of that which we cannot see but without which there is no seeing. Faith is the certainty of that which you cannot conceptually realize but without which there is no conceptualization. Faith is the certainty of the invisible that makes the visible possible. This kind of faith is absolutely necessary if we want to create or participate in reality. Science is based on faith in the certain methodology…So is the ability to manifest your dreams based on the understanding that all exists as all possibilities in the field of infinite potentiality. That we are that. And all this is that. And we are this. The invisible, formless is the only reality that modifies itself as form and phenomenon. From everything that we can see and observe in the universe, we see the visible organizing itself as the invisible through its own self-interaction, self-organization, self-regulation, self-evolution, in the direction of beauty, harmony, love, joy, and compassion (and evolution). It is all happening by itself. We have nothing to do with it whatsoever, not the you that considers itself as an individual and nothing to do with it. You are a stardust being through which the universe is becoming aware of itself. The human brain is just an instrument for human consciousness to experience itself as the universe. You can say that the brain is the observation deck for the universe to know itself. Everything that we create a construct around is based on a deeper knowing and experience of that knowing. To have faith in God is also to have faith in yourself as the invisible, formless being that is constantly manifesting as the form and phenomenon. Every form when you look at it is a phenomenon. It is rising and subsiding in your own being. When you see that your own being is the formless in which all experience occurs as the form and phenomenon, then you have found yourself and you have found God as well. Have faith in yourself and have faith in the invisible, but not belief as a cover up for insecurity. What we know is ultimately that the most amazing spiritual experience we can have is bewilderment, astonishment, awe, wonder, curiosity, humility, reverence for all existence. Rumi has a poem. He says, ‘Exchange your cleverness for bewilderment.’ Stay astonished! If you stay astonished, bewildered, confused a little bit, and humble, you won’t have to struggle with everything. Struggle comes only when we think of ourselves. When you have a higher calling, when you have a commitment to that which is bigger than yourself, then you have true faith. And that true faith is no longer a cover up for insecurity. Therefore, it is not based on belief. It is the certainty of that which you cannot see. And that which makes all seen possible.” Your response adds much more clarity to the question in my mind. I thank you so much for taking your invaluable time to answer my question.

Deepest regards,

Richa

This post has received 1 vote up.
    • #6130 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Richa, thank you so much for transcribing Deepak’s answer. I think many are grateful to you, those among us who feel that they can deepen their understanding by reading the text. It is a very kind and thoughtful gesture. Namasté and love!

• #6111 Score: 1

Conscious
    Participant
    1 vote
    @conscious

Love you Deepak for a long time.
    Hope you enjoy my input on us as the universe summarized here:
    The Eternal Cycle

http://eternal-cycle.com/eye.gif

Love,
    Lou Majors

• #6131 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Lou, how beautiful and unique your expression!! Thank you for sharing!

• #6121 Score: 1

Richa
    Participant
    32 votes
    @richa

Dear Lou,

I thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for sharing your insight on existence. I really enjoyed reading “The Eternal Cycle”! Like you say, “We are existence. We are the seed of creation and creation itself.” Your message is very powerful and beautifully composed. My gratitude to you for sharing the poem.

Much love & Peaceful blessings,

Richa

• #6168 Score: 0

Richa
    Participant
    32 votes
    @richa

Dear Aurora,

You are most welcome! Thank you so much for your kind compliment! 🙂

Peaceful blessings,

Richa

• #6532 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear @richa:

Part of what you are saying: “Obviously you would say, ‘It’s me or it’s ‘I’ who wants to know the answers to these questions.’ Then I would ask you, ‘Who is the ‘I’ that wants to know the answers to these questions? What is the ‘I’ that wants to know?’ And then the second question I would ask you is what do you mean by the word, God? That is a very loaded word, because people all over the world are fighting by what they mean by God. Most of the religions, if not all, come to us from ancient times. They are (in a sense) bronze age mythology, concepts that our ancestors developed a long, long time ago. We usually refer to God based on our religious conditioning. Till we can answer these the questions, ‘who or what is the ‘I’ asking the question wants to know’ and ‘what do we mean by God,’ then your question is very difficult to answer if we don’t know what do we mean by God”.

The “I” is the foundation of everything. However, we are talking about the boundless Awareness, as the I. Not the ego, which thinks of itself as finite, as a sinner, as a happy being in one circumstance, and unhappy in another circumstance. Religions are great but what humans often do is fight over religion! Humans are indeed strange, sometimes.

Love and respect,

Menas

• #6540 Score: 0

Richa
    Participant
    32 votes
    @richa

Dear Dr. Kafatos,

I am so thankful to you for answering my question. I believe that the “I” is the awareness that wants to know. Everything and everyone is divine. Divinity vibrates in every particle of nature. When we surrender our ego to divinity or formless, infinite being, we let things happen in synchronicity with the universe. The universe self-organizes itself and destiny just occurs. Yes, people around the world are fighting over God, but God vibrates in every particle of nature. God is all there is.

Although, yes, humans are strange when they fight over religions. My family practices Hinduism and Sikhism. As you know, Hinduism is a polytheistic religion. We pray to Goddess Durga Maa, Lord Shiva, Lord Ganesha, Lord Krishna, Lord Ram, etc…! And in Sikhism, we bow to “Wahe Guru”! We bow to deities and pray for our wellbeing.

I believe in humanity and goodness of the body, mind, soul, spirit, and heart. God is omnipresent. God is love, compassion, joy, and all the healthy virtues in life. God is certainly not one physical figure in the sky. When we see God in everything and everyone, puzzle pieces fit together themselves and God is present in every breath within oneself and around oneself, eternally.

Like you said, “I” am boundless awareness, and when we surrender our egos to the universe, we become one with the infinite awareness.

I am not sure if my thoughts make sense, but I shared what I felt.

Again, thank you so much for your response. It is a blessing to hear from you.

Humble regards,

Richa

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X