Is meditation really the answer?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  robinkyle 4 weeks ago.

• Author

JenniferL
    Participant
    89 votes
    @jenniferl

Scholars of the wisdom traditions have said that knowing the self effectively bridges the cleavages of the separated identity.

It takes great humility to put behind oneself concepts of a lesser value, to accept the greater concepts coming through in our higher moments of awareness. Higher moments often brought about through foolhardy attempts at happiness and the ever after; the moment when we’ve come to realize we’re in a bind and can’t see our way clear with the methods currently in use, but think to ourselves a better concept has to be developed.

Meditation has been said to be a means to offset this imbalance by curtailing our experiences and effectively
    acknowledging a greater reality; a reality which says that we’re more than our experiences would have us believe about ourselves. Through observation we can disengage from these experiences and look for patterns of awareness or clues or signposts, leading the way onto higher ground, where the air is clearer and the sun is shining brighter.

These sign posts are still experiences or qualia, but of a higher vibrational nature – a nature who’s note is more inclusive and less likely to cause a division. A note marked by more inclusive love, compassion, equanimity, wholeness, grace, forgiveness, healing, etc… And as we reach this higher ground, we look around at the world of people still stuck in the fray of their own experiences and wonder what can one do to help pull a traveler out of the muck.

Even here, what we see, hear, taste, smell, remember, think, experience, etc…is higher learning through one’s own reflection in the form of a set of circumstances. Our bubble of limited awareness hasn’t yet been breached.

In the foray of ever expanding awareness, is it still sound advice to sit for meditation? Isn’t it also the intelligent application of the higher awareness attained in our moments of contemplation, through to the completion of the law, thus experiencing a liberation from that particular set of lessons until we go on to the next set of lessons – personality, soul, Christ or Buddhahood, to God Consciousness?

I’ve listened to Dr. Chopra (and other spiritual teachers) for….and many moments of inspiration have come to me. But it wouldn’t amount to an expanding of awareness if I didn’t intelligently apply the universal concept which came through, in a timely moment, to all of my circumstances.

Just today I had this experience with a few words Dr. Chopra spoke. He said that the great advantage of qualia science is how perfectly it matches what we call reality. I took these words to mean that there is no separation between my being and my experiences of that being. This led me to ask, “what’s the separation?” Meaning, what limited belief am I holding which keeps me from experiencing the wholeness of my being? Then subtly my thoughts shifted, some anxious feelings I’ve had about recent events subsided, and I realized I wasn’t separate from my reality. There is no “them” out to do something (of a good or bad nature) to me. And then I felt at peace within myself.

This wasn’t a passive observation, but the recognition of intuitive insight, subsequent application through inquiry and further insight, which led to the automatic transmutation of that energy to a higher realization that I’m captain of my domain.

Your thoughts are appreciated. <3

Namaste, love, and light,
    Jennifer

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #4976 Score: 2

Kalkin
    Participant
    6 votes
    @kalkin

नमस्कार! I don’t know if I have an answer that is of use to you, but I’ll offer it and let you decide.

Is meditation really the answer?

I suppose it depends on what the question is! It probably also depends on what type of meditation is performed.

I took these words to mean that there is no separation between my being and my experiences of that being. This led me to ask, “what’s the separation?” Meaning, what limited belief am I holding which keeps me from experiencing the wholeness of my being? Then subtly my thoughts shifted, some anxious feelings I’ve had about recent events subsided, and I realized I wasn’t separate from my reality. There is no “them” out to do something (of a good or bad nature) to me. And then I felt at peace within myself.

That’s right. These types of insights will occur when they occur. The trick is to integrate them so that they become part of how you interpret your everyday experiences.

For example, your insight that “There is no ‘them’ out to do something (of a good or bad nature) to me.” How would that insight inform your interpretation of your experiences if one day you found yourself with a new boss who was a very DIFFICULT and UNPLEASANT person? Maybe one with a serious personality disorder. And let’s say that your financial situation would not accommodate just quitting. Could you maintain your own peace of mind while dealing with THE BOSS FROM HELL? Could you avoid feeling stressed, and just deal with the situation in a calm, rational frame of mind? Could you think of your boss as being another part of yourself, that you were negotiating with? Not internalize the boss’es problems? Not feel bad from lack of approval or appreciation?

Maybe you could, but it would depend on where you already are. Most people couldn’t, even if they had made the same realization that you did. The reason is because it takes some time to integrate new realizations into the way that we interpret our experiences. We have to make new neural connections (even if the brain doesn’t create consciousness, it does organize thoughts…).

For some radical new realizations, it takes quite a bit of “neuroplasticity” to wire them in.

One way to do that, would be through certain forms of meditation.

The end result, if this process goes far enough, is to reach a sort of artificial “altered state of awareness” that becomes a new norm. While I have not experienced the BIG ONE, I have had a number of mini-awakenings in my life that give me some sense of what it would be like. I have had realizations that, once they were integrated into my personality, radically changed the way that I interpret my experiences. That includes even mundane experiences.

This post has received 2 votes up.
    • #4989 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Such a beautiful dialogue, thank you so much Jennifer and Kalkin! I really enjoyed the “boss from hell” example 🙂

• #9287 Score: 0

robinkyle
    Participant
    @robinkyle

SF Relationship Coaching & Psychotherapy provides amazing services like: Improving your dating life, meeting someone special, building a relationship that is rich and satisfying, increasing confidence and self-esteem, resolving conflict and reducing arguments, Pre-commitment and pre-marital counseling, recovering from an affair and building trust again. Jeremi McManus, M.S., San Francisco Relationship Coach and Psychotherapist. Jeremi’s goal is to strengthen relationships, build new relationships, while integrating his own practice of mindfulnesss, located in San Francisco, California.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X