Nothing Is Real “Out There”

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Vikram Chauhan 3 years ago.

• Author

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Menas Kafatos

Question to Menas Kafatos:

Dear Menas,
    In the Overview you write that nothing is real “out there” independent of us. Would you please expand on why it is so?

Answer:

The “out there” is itself an experience, what is often termed as qualia. “Inside” and “outside” are all experiences. How do we really know anything devoid of experience?

We don’t mean of course, a particular person’s experience, although for that person, his or her experience are paramount. The point is that unless you remove all and I mean all, beings that have experiences, in the entire cosmos, asking the question of something existing independently of us makes no sense. And even if by some magic all experiencing beings, all sentient beings, were removed, how would we even pose the question?

Love,
    Menas

• #4946 Score: 0

Robin
    Participant
    51 votes
    @robin

Does this make Godel’s Theorem “proving” the existence of God the ultimate proof that we are all Divine? If nothing higher than God exists, and “we” are all part, or “aspects,” of that ultimate being, We are = God is.

I remember my rabbi talking about Isaac Luria, the great Jewish mystic. In Luria’s telling of the Creation story God, “Or Ein Sof” (light of infinity) filled the Cosmos. But God was alone and wanted some “other” to keep God company. So God took a deep in-breath to make space for the universe–vessels of light–and, in so doing, the vessels splintered into infinite shards (the Big Bang) to create what we know as the Universe.

Hence, experience (qualia) was created out of the void. And with it, all the good and evil, light and shadow, peace and war that have since ensued.

According to Jewish teachings, our job (collectively and as individuals) is to collect all the shards by performing mitzvot, or acts of lovingkindness to repair the world, known as Tikkun Olam.

So through our capacities–sense, smell, taste, sight, touch–through creativity, connecting to others, and by virtue of our experiences, we each have the capacity to repair (heal) our world. Thus, in the beginning, God is = We are.

Not sure if it’s “kosher”, mixing mathematical proof with Kabbalah, but somehow these ideas connect in my understanding to show WE ARE ALL ONE.

• #5057 Score: 0

Deepesh
    Participant
    5 votes
    @deepesh

According to holy Shrimad Bhagwad Gita,the entire cosmos is inside each cell or each cell is the miniature of the universe..
    The paricles,atoms and molecules are no different than our universe,galaxies and planets revolving around the Sun…
    The subatomic particles when compared to solar system are bound together through chemical bonds or VanderWaal’s forces or covalent/hydrogen bonds.
    Now,the human body roughly contains 10^14 cells which again contains many molecules,atoms and which further contains DNA or chromatin loaded with all the information related to the individual…
    The Cosmos has cosmic intelligence as an operator which defines REALITY of the entire universe(cosmic consciousness).

Our reality is defined by our thoughts which causes the changes at the cellular level programming our psyche to take certain action to produce certain results…
    The neurons/neuroglial cells wired together through dendrites may trigger certain shift in consciousness through the changes at the synaptic level leading to alteration in our perception regarding our reality.
    The blocks in transmission due to reduced neurotransmitters may be compared to entropy or chaos at the cosmic level…
    So I believe that the Universe is nowhere outside but inside all of us.

• #6078 Score: 0

Vikram Chauhan
    Participant
    11 votes
    @vikram-chauhan

Hi Menas, Deepak,

I understand that the universe is nothing but our thoughts (our awareness). But, what are thoughts?

I believe thoughts are basically potential (potential of thought), that keep bubbling in and out of existence.

And how did the universe begin?

I believe the universe began when a potential thought bubbled into existence.

But who caused the potential thought bubble into existence. Consciousness is required for a potential thought to bubble into existence.

So, consciousness was there, even when thoughts were in potential.

And that consciousness caused the potential thought bubble into existence. We may term that consciousness as God.

Am I correct?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X