Permutations Of Personal Identity

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Deepak Chopra 4 years ago.

• Author

Psychedelicacy
    Participant
    13 votes
    @psychedelicacy

Possibility 1:

Solipsism – you’re only as yourself, in this one form (and you’re eternal).

Possibility 2:

Open individualism – You’re one self throughout infinite forms (you = eternal).

Possibility 3:

Science/eternal oblivion – each self is finite, and there’s probably an infinity of them.

Possibility 4:

Each being is eternal but doesn’t experience each other as themself – there’s an infinity of different selves.

So which is it? And how can we truly know?

• #6865 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
    Keymaster
    110 votes
    @aurorac

Dear @psychedelicacy , thank you so much for sending in questions to the authors. Could you be so kind and add @question to your text when your questions are meant for the authors? This will assure that the moderators do not miss it, as our forum is so joyfully active 🙂 Here is a guide if you should need it: How to Submit a Question to the Authors Thank you!

• #6866 Score: 0

Psychedelicacy
    Participant
    13 votes
    @psychedelicacy

Oh yeah, sure. This was the topic I made right before I realized that was needed. Hee.

• #6867 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Haha, OK, then I’m just glad we got to say hi 🙂 Thank you again for your questions, I enjoy looking through your point of view!

• #6868 Score: 1

Psychedelicacy
    Participant
    13 votes
    @psychedelicacy

I love this site. One of the best forums. Deepak is such an astounding individual, answering all our questions. He really cares about the most fundamental mysteries. I think we’re really onto something. All of us, which reject the certitude scientists hold in an external objective physical reality independent and outside of consciousness. I think we’re turning the tide. And a new non-nihilistic science including the observer is emerging. It’s wonderful.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    • #6869 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Wow, I couldn’t have said it better, I agree with all you say. We have waited for so long for the tide to turn, haven’t we? 🙂 Actually, I have noticed that scientists are not at all as certain about the nature of reality as the most ardent physicalists want us to think. That is also a myth which we shouldn’t accept anymore. I’ve met plenty of researchers who are wondering and very well noticing that things are not as they seem, so to say 🙂 They usually don’t just accept another ontological point of view, which is healthy… they need to arrive at the conclusions themselves for it to be real. But the work done by Deepak, Menas and other scientists is very important, they are asking the right questions and pointing to the ones that don’t have an answer in the old paradigm. I love this book, it’s a patient, compassionate, intelligent gem.

And yes, how valuable is not this space where we can all gather and talk about these things, compare notes, compare questions and share ideas? For we are all living in communities still built on myths, and we are the ones to change that.

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #7101 Score: 0

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

Dear @☺Psychedelicacy , thank you for your question! I have answered in Readers Ask: How Can I Be Sure I am Eternal?

Love,
    Deepak

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X