Readers Ask: Am I Abandoning My Self?

////Readers Ask: Am I Abandoning My Self?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Menas Kafatos 3 years ago.

• Author

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

The question was asked by @rachel, member of our YATU forum. Thank you Rachel!

Question:

“I love your guided meditations and also your books. I do have some doubts, and I was wondering if you can give me your opinion on these questions:

If I do not identify with the body and mind, does it mean I am abandoning my Self? Or am I just abandoning my Ego Self and getting connected to my true Spiritual Self?

Many thanks! Greetings from Portugal!”

As always, I welcome your comments! Please keep sending in your questions, making sure you use @question in your text!

Love,
    Deepak

• #6931 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear Rachel:

How do you really “abandon” your Self? When we refer to “Self”, we mean innate Awareness, That which is always there. Abandoning the body and mind happens at the time of death. During deep meditation, we temporarily abandon identification with the body-mind ego. You are not “abandoning your Self” (with cap S) as That is your true Existence. The point is to diminish the influence of the (false) ego. The ego exists because of the body, senses, mind. But your true Self is beyond these, it is the Awareness of these.

You cannot truly “abandon” your Self. You can only forget it (for a while). And your Self never abandons you!

Blessings,

Menas

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X