Readers Ask: Do We Carry Qualia With Us When We Die?

////Readers Ask: Do We Carry Qualia With Us When We Die?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Deepak Chopra 4 years ago.

• Author

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

The question was asked by @trishaham, member of our YATU forum. Thank you Trisha!

Question:

“Do we still carry Qualia with us when we die?”

Please watch my answer and let me know what you think!

Love,
    Deepak

• #6241 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear Trisha ( @trishaham ):

We carry impressions from our present life when we pass away. These subtle impressions are attached to our psychic and mental states (bodies) and go with us. Some things just don’t go away no matter what. That could be what is going on.

Great question!

Thanks,

Menas

• #6246 Score: 1

Gina
    Participant
    1 vote
    @gina

I am reading the book but I haven’t completed it. Ive been listening to Deepak’s answers to the questions for quite awhile. Do you think Qualia can be passed down to our children? We pass our DNA to our children and it is beyond amazing how the zygote with no “brain” has an intelligence all its own and directs the making of the embryo. It is so obvious to me that Consciousness is directing this, but it does involve preexisting DNA. I know that DNA is a human construct but from our human point of view that is what we have in order to communicate with one another. I know that epigenetics is a newer area that deals with this concept. I love the idea that you are mixing science with spirituality. The great teachers from all of the different “religions” sure knew the deep meaning of life. Dr. Kafatos and Dr. Chopra I believe that putting these two areas science and spirituality together is the only way that makes our path clearer. Thank you both.

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #6248 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Gina:

On your question:
    “I am reading the book but I haven’t completed it. Ive been listening to Deepak’s answers to the questions for quite awhile. Do you think Qualia can be passed down to our children? We pass our DNA to our children and it is beyond amazing how the zygote with no “brain” has an intelligence all its own and directs the making of the embryo. It is so obvious to me that Consciousness is directing this, but it does involve preexisting DNA. I know that DNA is a human construct but from our human point of view that is what we have in order to communicate with one another. I know that epigenetics is a newer area that deals with this concept. I love the idea that you are mixing science with spirituality. The great teachers from all of the different “religions” sure knew the deep meaning of life. Dr. Kafatos and Dr. Chopra I believe that putting these two areas science and spirituality together is the only way that makes our path clearer. Thank you both.”

Some additional thoughts: You might want to look into the whole issue of epigenetics. Qualia passing to next generations may be what scientists term epigenetics (information that eventually gets “written up” in genes).

Best,

Menas

• #6256 Score: 0

Gina
    Participant
    1 vote
    @gina

Thank you for your reply, Dr. Kafatos.

• #6422 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear All:

Let’s keep contemplating this question and discussion. Perhaps then the fear of death will be seen as fear as an experience itself. If qualia are passed on, as subtle impressions, to the “next” levels of existence, then one’s life does not “end” at physical death. The question is what qualia we pass on, if we can put it that way! Qualia that continue to give us experiences of “more of the same”? or qualia that get us to uplift ourselves.

It is after all that we have a choice, what to cultivate in the present.

Menas

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X