Readers Ask: How Can I Be Sure I am Eternal?

////Readers Ask: How Can I Be Sure I am Eternal?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Menas Kafatos 4 years ago.

• Author

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

The question was asked by @psychedelicacy, member of our YATU forum. Thank you Psychedelicacy!

Question:

“Possibility 1:

Solipsism – you’re only as yourself, in this one form (and you’re eternal).

Possibility 2:
    Open individualism – You’re one self throughout infinite forms (you = eternal).

Possibility 3:

Science/eternal oblivion – each self is finite, and there’s probably an infinity of them.

Possibility 4:

Each being is eternal but doesn’t experience each other as themself – there’s an infinity of different selves.

So which is it? And how can we truly know?”

As always, I welcome your comments! Please keep sending in your questions, making sure you use @question in your text!

Love,
    Deepak

• #7216 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear Psychedelicacy:

Maybe the answer is more than one. First possibility: Definitely not, you as your present form is not permanent. So individual soliptism is out. However, since everything and everyone is ultimately One, then in a certain way the universal Self is soliptic but is experienced as many. Second possibility is right, if what you say “one self” is the Cosmic Self (experienced as many). Third possibility: Also true but in a relative way! Fourth possibility is really a variant of three (as long as in three we allow for eternal selves) and it is true. In conclusion, many selves are ultimately the One but are experienced relatively as many, as distinct individuals. The latter is the illusion of separation as monism teaches.

Blessings,

Menas

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X