Readers Ask: How Can We Upgrade the Illusion?

////Readers Ask: How Can We Upgrade the Illusion?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Robin 4 years ago.

• Author

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

The question was asked by Robin, member of our YATU forum. Thank you Robin!

Question:

“I have heard you and other sages say that the β€œreality” we have created as humans is an illusion of the mind. Why, then, would we create such discord and dysfunction in our present reality? Why create ego –or is EGO merely a human construct? ”

Please watch the video and let me know what you think!

Love,
    Deepak

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #4738 Score: 1

Robin
    Participant
    51 votes
    @robin

Thanks for this response, Deepak. As I watched the beginning, I found myself suddenly yearning (becoming aware) for a bite of that chocolate myself…that is, an experience of the chocolate as smell, touch, shape and taste. (You picked an apt metaphor for a chocoholic!) As a writer, I find that words are poor substitutes for experience, but it is my calling nonetheless to turn thoughts, experiences into concepts as a way to broaden my experience and share it with others.

When you speak about “losing the memory of who we really are,” that is quite evocative for me. I have a distinct memory from 30+ years ago of not being invited to my boss’s wedding. I even recall sharing (dare I say, nursing) that disappointment with a colleague who also wasn’t invited. Since boss and I were friends long before I came to work for him, that really stung! When I shared this disappointment with him recently, he went and found my RSVP, that said I was unable to attend! Needless to say, this was not only embarrassing, but made me doubt the accuracy of many other memories that I have long made into a “story” of who I am.

So if I am not the one who wasn’t invited and am, instead, the one who declined the invitation (since I still don’t remember even receiving the invitation, I have no idea why I would have said no), then my experience was one of being excluded, a misinterpretation of reality! All these years later, it is brought to my awareness that this was not true, this was a different experience altogether. And, by the way, we have remained friends all these years nonetheless.

So our memory of things past (as Proust reminds us) is not necessarily pure truth, even if that shade of truth becomes part of our experiencing. I have the ability to remember/recreate that story in a new way. But it does give me a good story to tell!

Are you saying, though, that individuals hold this power within the collective? Because surely, we as Americans, or humans, or part of the Cosmos, have created the scenario in which we now collectively find ourselves. Can we recreate a collective story? This sounds like myth making. Do we all have the power to construct a new, better and joy-filled mythos?

• #4746 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Robin, thank you for this absolutely delightful read! Loved the story of the wedding invitation and how you had to move from one role to another. Such instances when our story is challenged are so precious, they help us break the mirage of one point of view until we are ready for the realization that we are that which contains them all.

I do believe we have the power to change our collective story, but not as individuals. Only as The Universe. Do you see what I mean?

• #4751 Score: 0

Robin
    Participant
    51 votes
    @robin

Dear Aurora, thanks for your thought-provoking question here. But I am not sure I understand.

If we ARE the Universe, aren’t we always in the process of creating a new story? And if we do that together (I am thinking of the collective action in the U.S. that has burst out since the last presidential election) isn’t that creating a new story, a new reality or branch of potential — e.g., She Persisted?

• #4753 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

I’m glad that you noticed my question Robin! I was hoping you would πŸ™‚
      I agree that we are always in a process of creating new stories. But as I see it, we don’t do that together.
      After years of meditation I have realized that the “I” which creates all my stories, all your stories and all stories we share – is not personal.

The “I” feels personal on a certain level, and we all imagine that our bodies, thoughts, dreams, imaginations, hopes, wishes, intentions and actions are separate from everyone else’s, maybe even contrary to others’. But the consciousness holding all these “separate” identities and activities turns out to be seamlessly one if you really observe it. We don’t notice it at first, but the deeper our attention goes, the more obvious it is that it is all arising as one, in the one undivided consciousness. We are used to call consciousness “mine” or “yours” but is it really?

In order to consciously change this wholeness of dreaming/manifesting, we need to be conscious all the way down to the undivided oneness. Only from there will all the activity change in order to give rise to new patterns of emotion, thought and matter including all the seemingly separate people and happenings. If we try to change things “together” we are on a more surface level, and there will always be the question of those who want something else πŸ™‚ But in the fundamental One there is no one else.

This is hard to put into words. But haven’t you ever manifested a free parking space through intention? If yes, then you realize that the entire universe had to move in a way that created that experience? You did not do that “together” with those who left that parking space, or who didn’t occupy it before you, etc. You see? You went to the source, and from there, the experience arose by itself.

Your thoughts? πŸ™‚

• #4760 Score: 0

Robin
    Participant
    51 votes
    @robin

I appreciate your invoking the example of the Parking Angels, Aurora. Yes, I have seen the Universe to so conspire. But sometimes it doesn’t, and does that indicate a lesser intention, or diminished reality, so that it didn’t manifest? I am not sure this example resonates with me.

What I do think is that what Deepak and Menas are trying to do with this, dare we say, “movement” is to advance the consciousness of consciousness in such a way as to lead the collective to a new paradigm. (I was going to say “thought paradigm” but is that what it is? And if so, does thought manifest as awareness and can it not “infect” or affect the collective?) Then, as the number of us who become the “We” as Universe grows, we may come to a tipping point (usually after it becomes the way of being for 10 percent of the population) where it spills over into a new mode of being. Isn’t this how the Scientific Revolution was seeded in the 19th century? And the Enlightenment? And the Renaissance before that?

Each new stage of consciousness grows out of ONE AWARENESS but flows and becomes more widespread (gains traction) as more and more people come to that way of thinking until, at the 10-percent + 1th person, it becomes the norm. Ken Wilber’s work is a great example of how the stages and levels of human consciousness evolves–or sometimes goes off track. Are you familiar with his latest ebook about what’s gone wrong–and the course correction neede–for our most recent advanced level of development, that he calls green? http://superhuman.ontraport.net/c/s/vtD/6Gk21/6/jW/Q0a/6LHevo/slCYeVcpWU

• #4762 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

I am completely in agreement with the view that a new paradigm is happening Robin! And yes, it is about minds accommodating a new way of thinking, and a tipping point.

But if I take one more step back, so to say, if I look from even higher up or deeper down … I see that minds and paradigms shift because of a shift in consciousness. Note that I make a difference between consciousness and thought. A new way of thinking co-arises together with new types of actions and social structures when consciousness has shifted/expanded.

Undivided consciousness gives rise to a multitude of new thoughts and actions in its own being, every time it becomes more self-aware. So to me, it is not about trying to change people’s thoughts, but about awareness of self deepening in more and more people, until it reaches a critical mass within itself. Then a whole population has realized something new about the self.

If this is so, then we don’t need to struggle to change minds (convince, manipulate, etc), instead what we can do is contribute to every person’s process of deepening self-awareness.

How does this resonate with you?

• #4766 Score: 0

Robin
    Participant
    51 votes
    @robin

As someone about to dive into a new coach training course, it sounds exciting! I love the idea of being able to contribute to the deepening of self-awareness in others who are open to that.

In the meantime, I have to share this: part of my pre-course assignment for the course is to read a book called, The Inner Game of Tennis, by a tennis pro, Tim Gallwey. It was first published in 1974 and is ostensibly about learning the game of tennis, but tennis here is a metaphor for learning anything. I was reading a section called “The Theory of Concentration” last night, and here is the section that struck me (and this, I think, to your point about deepening in more and more people):

“Whatever we experience on a tennis court is known to us by virtue of awareness–that is, by the consciousness within us. It is consciousness which makes possible awareness of the sights, sounds, feeling and thoughts which compose what we call ‘experience.’ It is self-evident that one cannot experience anything outside of consciousness. Consciousness is that which makes all things and events knowable. Without consciousness eyes could not see, ears could not hear and mind could not think. Consciousness is like a pure light energy whose power is to make events knowable, just as an electric light makes objects visible. Consciousness could be called the light of lights because it is by its light that all other lights become visible.

“All that ever happens to us, all that we ever do, is known to us through the light energy of what is called consciousness.

“[…] “The light of consciousness can be focused either externally to objects available to the senses or internally to thoughts or feelings. And attention can be focused in a broad or narrow beam.”

So there we have it, an upgrade to the illusion. And through tennis or any other game (and especially the game of life), a way to apply that upgrade to everyone.

Pretty prescient, don’t you think?

• #4771 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

So happy for your excitement Robin, best of luck on the new training course!

I love the quote you gave us, beautifully explained, there is that beauty of truth shining from beyond the words. It is prescient maybe, compared to recent times… but it is a resonance of the wisdom expressed already in the Vedas which date from 1200 BC, the wisdom some human beings have surely accessed even earlier during the concept called history.

I would add to the thoughts expressed by your quote that consciousness can be focused not only externally to objects and internally to thoughts and feelings, but most importantly, to itself. Note that consciousness is not the same as thoughts and feelings, those are subjective activities in consciousness, just as words, actions and things are objective activities in consciousness. But to observe and know consciousness itself is true self-knowledge.

This is one of the roles of You Are the Universe, with this book consciousness observes and describes itself, for the purpose of self-knowledge. It’s hard to choose what is best about this book, but I absolutely love the last part where Deepak and Menas describe how consciousness behaves. Humanity has collectively given most of its attention to objective and subjective experience in consciousness, but now it is time to focus on consciousness itself and understand it, and that, I think, is the paradigm shift we have been waiting for πŸ™‚

I wonder how you and everyone will use the self-understanding gained through this new focus in day-to-day life… any thoughts?

• #4777 Score: 1

Robin
    Participant
    51 votes
    @robin

I have to ponder this, Aurora. Very profound. I am sure there is much in the ancient wisdom traditions that can illuminate us to knowing ourselves as known–including wisdom that we have forgotten!

That said, I also feel compelled to read further in the book to go beyond my current understanding–will respond more once I have done that. Thank you!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X