Readers Ask: How Do I Deal With Obsessive Thoughts and Addictive Patterns?

////Readers Ask: How Do I Deal With Obsessive Thoughts and Addictive Patterns?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Menas Kafatos 4 years ago.

• Author

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

The question was asked by @shivansh, member of our YATU forum. Thank you Shivansh!

Question:

“Namaste Dr. Chopra,

Lately, I have been able to understand the magnificence of cosmic consciousness and the power of true self. I am working to shape my life through this awareness.

But one of the obstacles I frequently come across is the ‘physical mind’. Though I have always used my qualities of ‘thought’ and ‘contemplation’ to create things I desire in my life, I can now see myself identifying ‘myself’ with this physical mind. Obsessive thoughts that are linked with unnecessary anxiety seem to hold me back.

Fortunately, meditation helps me to bring me into the beautiful experience of the ‘now’, yet later I find myself over-intellectualizing about my spiritual life as well.

I know I am definitely more than my mind, and I am grateful that I am in pursuit of it (Thanks to you for playing a role there). But I am curious to know what you feel is important to overcome the illusion of ‘Obsessive Thoughts’ to keep one’s spiritual journey going?

Any experiences would be really appreciated!”

As always, I welcome your comments! Please keep sending in your questions, making sure you use @question in your text!

Love,
    Deepak

• #7215 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear Shivansh:

Excellent question. This is the central problem or issue with the human mind, how to deal with the mind (by the way, the mind is not “physical”, see below). The mind seems to torment us and if unchecked, it can lead us astray or cause major psychological and psychophysical problems (as mind influences the physical state of a human being). However, the mind is also a great friend, our true companion if we treat it right. It is like a horse in the old days, it can get us anywhere; however, we are the rider. Who is the rider? Pure Awareness. Now the ancient monistic systems such as Vedanta and Saivism taught that the individual and the universal Reality (Brahman) are one, the individual mind and the cosmic Mind are one. So this is the point. In terms of ‘obsessive’ thoughts, they are fed by feelings and in turn influence feelings.

Meditation is the right antidote to a restless mind. Patanjali taught that the purpose of meditation is to still the modifications of the mind. Then the Self (the universal Mind that is always there) is revealed, like the bottom of a lake with waves is revealed when the waves are not there; otherwise, we cannot see the botom of the lake.

Blessings,

Menas

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X