Readers Ask: Planetary Consciousness and Trappist-1?

////Readers Ask: Planetary Consciousness and Trappist-1?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Robin 3 years ago.

• Author

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

The question was asked by Robin, member of our YATU forum. Thank you Robin!

Question:

“Reading now about the discovery of a solar system (only) 40 lightyears away around a dim sun that has been named TRAPPIST-1.

Would love to hear Deepak talk about what it would mean to our planetary consciousness to envision this other world–a solar system, potentially like ours, but so unlike it at the same time. Could it be aware-self-aware-other aware? And could we ever dream of reaching out to and connecting with any potential space-time beings at a distance (speaking of non-locality!) in any meaningful way?

Boggles the imagination!”

I invite you to watch the video and let me know what you think!

Love,
    Deepak

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #5036 Score: 2

JenniferL
    Participant
    89 votes
    @jenniferl

Hello!

After reading today’s question from Robin, and listening to Dr. Chopra’s video, I had more questions and some concerns come up about augmented reality, the achievement of cosmic consciousness, and contacting life ‘out there.’ I really appreciate the depth of discussion we can achieve on this forum. It keeps me coming back for more. 😛

To deepen our understanding:

What benefit do scientific discoveries, such as the future quantum computers or contacting alien life, have on humanity when we lack the understanding of how to truly Be, as spiritual beings, in a Quantum Universe? Remembering that, what we contact is a reflection of our inner state of being, as You Are the Universe. What dangers should we be made aware of and on what playing field? How do we overcome this obstacle as a humanity?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Love to all,
    JenniferL

This post has received 2 votes up.
  • #5038 Score: 2

Robin
    Participant
    51 votes
    @robin

Interested in exploring this notion of meta-awareness, thinking in this context about trying to reach TRAPPIST 1 or any other exoplanetary system we suspect might have intelligent life (or to use your optimistic term, augmented intelligence) and the limitations of sending out information at- or above-lightspeed (and whether information can travel at lightspeed and surpass roadbumps that may take the shape of black holes, wormholes, dark matter, or parallel universes all of which are theories hinted at by the math but unobservable by our own limited senses).

Our earliest radio and television signals, according to a scientist at SETI, have been beaming into space for about 100 years, although they weaken and become quite diffuse the farther they travel. “Some of our radars are easily detectable quite far, hundreds of light-years, into space, if the aliens wish to try, and if they’re in the beam,” says Seth Shostak, an astronomer at Seti. “Of course, no one more than about 50-70 light-years away will have yet heard from us, but I figure that our earliest broadcasts are washing over about one new star system each day. So the potential audience is growing.”

I have this image of intelligent life forms on TRAPPIST1 tuning into episodes of “I Love Lucy” or “Ed Sullivan” and wondering what’s up with these Earthlings! But what if they had actually mastered high enough consciousness to communicate telepathically, and thought, let’s try to “friend” them? We may not be able to master that level of augmented technology for eons! Metaphorically speaking, our phone would be ringing and (and meta-Facebook messenger pinging) no one would answer, so we’d miss their friend request.

So what are the odds in a universe that is limitless of making any initial contact? And doesn’t that speak to the notion that awareness, a.k.a., intelligent LIFE, may be ubiquitous but we’re not yet advanced enough to perceive it, much less connect in a meaningful way? Nonetheless, if these beings were able to reach us in ways that we could perceive them, it seems that their making contact would upend, or open up, our perceptions and could catalyze an evolutionary sport (in the biological sense of mutation) to speed up human development.

The film “Arrival” hinted at part of this. Endlessly fascinating. Speaking for myself, exploring these themes via fiction and science fiction feel like the most tangible ways to spur our sense of curiosity and impel our drive for discovery, better than theoretical (and currently untestable) theories represented via complex mathematical equations.

Wondering what forms and themes drive that sense of curiosity and discovery for other members of this forum?

• #5042 Score: 2

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Robin,

Yes, you make great arguments for the need of humanity to work with a little more foresight.

I recently watched “Arrival” and thought it was excellent! What must one hold in consciousness to remember past, present, future, and still want to hug the person standing next to them? ;P

One point I thought was well done in that movie had to do with our point of reference when given symbolic language. If the linguist interfacing with extraterrestrial life, Louise Banks, played by actress Amy Adams, had taken any of it personally, there may have been a different and more violent ending to the film – or we would have watched her become mentally ill. Her ability to hold it together psychologically was astounding. How many of us would be able to do that if we were given advanced symbols to work with?

I think, like you alluded to when you said, “Nonetheless, if these beings were able to reach us in ways that we could perceive them, it seems that their making contact would upend, or open up, our perceptions and could catalyze an evolutionary sport (in the biological sense of mutation) to speed up human development,” but at what price when we lack understanding? The linguist in the movie demonstrated advanced abilities in letting go of the form or detachment, to get to the underlying meaning and connect the dots; which, is what I think we want to be doing to understand the universal reality we’re engaged with.

Mathematics, sci-fi movies, quantum mechanics, philosophy, religion, the wisdom traditions, our lives and circumstances are all part of the universal symbols we’re being given to know and understand ourselves- and everything is a tremendous effort to answer the question, “Who am I?”

Lovely meeting you!
      JenniferL

• #5072 Score: 1

Sree
    Participant
    22 votes
    @sree

Wonderfully stimulating discussion, Robin & Jennifer; thank you!

• #5074 Score: 1

Robin
    Participant
    51 votes
    @robin

Hi Jennifer,
    Lovely to meet you here as well. You ask an interesting question: “What must one hold in consciousness to remember past, present, future, and still want to hug the person standing next to them?”

For me, there are three questions here — one about forgiveness (and gratitude?); the second, about letting go and the third, about love. If love is universal and eternal, perhaps that better merits a comment in-and-of itself — could be a new question in the forum altogether! (Aurora, what do you think?)

Forgiveness, in my own experience, seems to be so difficult for the ego-mind, but at the same time essential for our well-being. We now know that disease often has roots in dis-ease, or the holding of negative thoughts and emotions: stress, anger, hatred. Medicine may come up with treatments or therapies to mask or even, in some cases, cure the sickness, but what if there are other ways to heal–like a daily gratitude practice? Ritual forgiveness practices? Expressions of caring? Or simply listening to the other? I think many religions have these ideas at their core. If we engage in such practices on a regular basis, do we still find the need to hold on to the hurts, slights, upsets and misunderstandings that we have held and nurtured along with the pain?

So then, how to let go? Some of these painful memories feel like a reminder of who we are. “I’m the one whose mother abandoned him.” Or “I’m the one whose husband cheated on her.” All of which may speak to deep childhood wounds. But is there something that we can learn from the experience while, at the same time, not holding on to it as in any way defining, allow us to transform them into love? Which perhaps leads to a fourth question about acceptance. Accepting what is, and the part we are playing in it, feels important, not in the sense of determinism (e.g., This is fate; we have no choice) but from knowing that what happened in the past has led us to a new experience, and now we are free to see the story in a different way and make other, hopefully, better choices.

And could our ability to transform our experiences from pain and memory to learning and love lead to transcendence?

As much as anything else, thinking through these questions in community like the one on this forum (and what a wonderful group of people here!) I am beginning to understand that can perhaps help one another to see the Common Unity (my new way of defining “community!”), things that we all share in navigating this amazing life as a path to greater evolution.

And we don’t need First Contact with aliens to find that — just First Contact with ourselves and our fellow human travelers through the cosmos. But then, come to think of it, wasn’t that the real theme in Arrival (and ET, and so many other great books and films like it?)

I don’t know — just musing on the possibilities here. What do you think?

Big hugs!

• #5084 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Robin, you say

(Aurora, what do you think?)

… and I am longing for our tech team to bring us @mention functionality, so I don’t miss all the interesting discussions!!

I think that everyone should keep asking great questions so that Deepak and all of us can stay inspired and engage in fruitful dialogue! Keep asking my friends, keep inviting aware and awake friends to this forum, there is no subject more important (and fun!) on planet Earth today than our own consciousness.

• #5092 Score: 1

JenniferL
      Participant
      89 votes
      @jenniferl

Robin,

Thank you for the response! It’s so soulful when we demonstrate forgiveness, love, and understanding…where peace abides!

I opened Dr. Chopra’s book, Path to Love (172-173), where he talks about the art of letting go in the following passage:

“The general formula here is that whenever you react with “X has to be this way or else,” you bring awareness in and say, “X doesn’t have to be any way except what it is.”

It’s a conscious decision to forgive. I see, so far, that the forgiveness you’re mentioning is a natural outpouring from the kind of acceptance and the part of letting go Dr. Chopra mentions here. In other words, overcoming victimization, as you mention, too.

Understanding is knowing someone doesn’t have to be anything other than who they are right now, as they are, because all is in Divine Order, and we’re equals in the eyes of God and all that we need is already within us (YATU!) – no one else has to give in to our expectations. Letting go is a process of self-discovery, where when we let go we simultaneously reveal and allow our own goodness to shine through – raising the vibration for the specific and universal you, which includes everyone and everything!

Now, to forgive our politicians!

HUGS!! <3

Much love,
      JenniferL

• #5107 Score: 1

Robin
      Participant
      51 votes
      @robin

Beautifully said, Jennifer. To that, I would add, we must also forgive ourselves, accept ourselves for who we are, warts and all, and let go of any self-imposed expectations based on other people’s lives. Love this quote by Anne Lamott: “Never compare your insides by everybody else’s outsides.”

Of course, easier said than done!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X