Readers Ask: What Are Thoughts, Why Do We Need Them?

////Readers Ask: What Are Thoughts, Why Do We Need Them?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lilianna.deveneau 4 years ago.

• Author

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

The question was asked by @ziewatt, member of our YATU forum. Thank you Suzie!

Question:

“Where do thoughts come from? And why do we have them? I realise this may have been covered already.

Is this part of our higher consciousness? If so I still wonder because when I do meditation such as chakra cleansing or healing and mindfulness meditation I sometimes go beyond my thoughts. This is very hard to achieve but I have been there a few times, what experience is this?

I remember once reading that our thoughts are a process of what we are perceiving and making sense of in our reality. When I go away from my body what reality is it?

The universe, is that the real reality with no thought? Why do we need thought and have it?”

As always, I welcome your comments! Please keep sending in your questions, making sure you use @question in your text!

Love,
    Deepak

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #6839 Score: 0

Lindsay Briner
    17 votes
    @lindzyb

Beautiful Deepak! Thank you for this articulate discussion on nonduality and how “thought is an interpretation of experience.” It seems so simple, yet we all struggle to break free from our systems of thinking and into transcendence / pure consciousness. It seems as though some people, like Suzie, experience brief moments of it, while others with disciplined practice, can maintain it more persistently.

This discussion reminded me of this definition of pure consciousness by researchers Travis, Arenander, & DuBois, (2004).”Pure consciousness is “pure” in the sense that it is free from the processes and contents of knowing. It is a state of “consciousness” in that the knower is conscious through the experience, and can, afterwards, describe it. The “content” of pure consciousness is self-awareness. In contrast, the contents of normal waking experiences are outer objects or inner thoughts and feelings. Pure consciousness is a direct experience of the natural structure of human experience.”

Much Love,
    Lindsay

• #6861 Score: 0

lilianna.deveneau
    Participant
    19 votes
    @lilianna-deveneau

Dear Deepak,
    Thank you for your passion!! I love your statement, “You are eternal! You are ancient. You’re unborn.” How true and impactful this is! Thank you for sharing. May your universal playground be ever more expansive, loving, and fun! Thanks for igniting this conversation, Suzie!
    Namaste,
    Lili

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X