Remembering Who We Are

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Aurora Carlson 4 years ago.

• Author

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Menas Kafatos

Question to Menas Kafatos:

Dear Menas,
    In the Preface you write that to you, the biggest mystery is how human beings create their own reality—and then forget what they did. How will your book You Are the Universe help us readers remember?

Answer:

The message that is developed again and again in the book is that the new science that we believe is emerging and which we advocate, points to the central role for awareness. All experiences are founded on the underlying awareness. How can experiences exist without what we can refer to here as the background of awareness, whether it is wakeful awareness or awareness in dreams or in deep meditation where one looses a sense of personal self? It is not possible.

This is so obvious once you contemplate it, one would almost say it is self-evident. But it is not the experience that we have every moment of our lives. Forgetting who we are eventually takes us to experiencing ourselves as limited individuals, separate from everyone else and everything else.

If we can provide a scientific outlook, the science where experience is central, an outlook that places consciousness at the center of the picture, and this is the case we make throughout the book, then we perhaps are providing ways for science to become relevant and applicable to everyday life. The big mysteries of science that we discuss all point to the simple yet profound message that we are the universe, each one of us. Being aware of this message is the opposite of forgetting.

Love,
    Menas

This post has received 2 votes up.
  • #4555 Score: 2

Sree
    Participant
    22 votes
    @sree

Dr Kafatos,
    The work of reminding us that we’re living in a story we’ve ourselves created, so to speak, is of vital importance to the world we live in today, as we inch closer to midnight on the so-called Doomsday Clock. The sword of knowledge has the potential to cut through the most tangled of problem knots. Thank you for doing this work. Certain scriptures have been around for millenia already carrying this message, but the same message coming from a different direction (science) will reach different people.

Sree

• #4579 Score: 1

Menas Kafatos
      41 votes
      @menask

Sree
      I agree. The message is the same, the means of delivering may be different. The message of the unity of the universe with us as participants, implies we are not passive observers. We are participants. And we carry huge responsibility.

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #4557 Score: 3

paashi
    Participant
    5 votes
    @paashi

Is their a purpose to the experience of being separate from the universe or is awareness of universal consciousness itself evolving towards the awareness of pure oneness in stages and degrees towards its own Beingness?

This post has received 3 votes up.
    • #4580 Score: 2

Menas Kafatos
      41 votes
      @menask

If there is a “purpose” it is to experience all there is. And to experience is to set “aside” the other as separate from us. But the message is that it is nothing but a cosmic play or an illusion, depending on what school of thought you adhere to. Yes, we are evolving towards what we already are!

• #4617 Score: 1

Sree
      Participant
      22 votes
      @sree

Dr. Menas: The question of purpose, which Paashi asked and you answered so swiftly, has troubled me quite a bit. Why is it all the way it is? At the surface levels of reality, I’ve found it immensely useful to ask that question, but as we approach the most fundamental level – differentiation versus oneness – it feels particularly unsatisfying to say it’s just a cosmic play. That’s it? Hey, what’s cosmic play to one could be the abyss of meaninglessness for another! Are we really sure there’s no other explanation? Like an anthill in our world, could our observable universe (with all its complexity) simply be a tiny part of another universe, with a Big Stomp to follow every Big Bang?

On the other hand, I also understand that this need for meaning & purpose behind every action is a very human need. Maybe we (I!) just need to learn that some things don’t admit of a purpose.

Would love to hear other perspectives.
      Sree

• #4643 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Sree,

As you know, I’ve already read the book. My interpretation of what the authors write is that what you are experiencing/creating is a human universe and that you also give it meaning.
      I see that you are asking for the meaning of it all as if there was an answer out there, an “objective meaning”, for us to find through continued research out there. But if we ourselves are that pure consciousness projecting that which we call the world, and if there is a meaning to this process, then the meaning will be given/created/projected by consciousness too.

I guess I’m trying to say that you are the universe and the meaning-giver 🙂

I can’t wait for you to read the book and let me know what it means to you!

• #4652 Score: 1

paashi
    Participant
    5 votes
    @paashi

Dear Aurora,Sree,Dr.Menas
    Waitng to read the book to broaden and deepen the perspective of Source Consciousness being Reality that Consciousness itself is unveiling through quontum physic observation and as experienced and shared through Spiritual observations across various wisdom traditions.
    I’m sensing that meaning and purpose cannot be grasped through constructed mind observations alone.

• #4655 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Paashi, I so much look forward to discussing the book with you all, especially in the way you describe- in relationship to different wisdom traditions. I very much agree with you that the meaning and purpose we usually function from is as Sree mentioned above, of the surface. The power driving us from our identity beyond the conditioned mind is of a whole other kind.
      I think many of us gathered here want to understand how our experiences can relate to science. So it will be very interesting to read the book together and see where it takes us 🙂 Not so long now until it is released, I hope you return to this topic with your observations after reading!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X