The wisdom of Coincidence

This topic contains 24 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Shivansh Mahajan 4 years ago.

• Author

Shivansh Mahajan
    Participant
    9 votes
    @shivansh

Namaste Dr. Chopra, Dr. Kafatos and fellow participants on the YATU forum.
    Dr. Chopra,
    I have a question that is so significant to me that it pops up every now and then in my life and leaves me in awe of my ‘human universe’. Since more than 2 years (when I was 16-17 years old) I have been learning from your wisdom and also practicing meditation and self-awareness. All this while, I have very frequently observed instances of ‘vivid coincidences’in my life, and I still do.
    These coincidences range from mere, seemingly insignificant observations to major life impacting incidents. Reading a new word in a book would suddenly pop-up somewhere else, a song that I happen to think of would surprisingly play around me, then guessing the time exactly right, and surprisingly meeting new people with common acquaintances.
    These are just a few minor examples from my life. I feel that these astounding experiences are conveying some sought of message to me. Though for most of them I am unable to decipher their direct implication, at times these instances come out to be mysterious solutions to certain problems or questions in my life, such as wishing for something and then it happens accurately. I am overwhelmed with gratitude at that time. But I wonder if these are just normal experiences that I tend to over-estimate or there is a hidden wisdom in each experience. Some do say that I am taking it too seriously while others say that the experiences are effects of meditation. I believe that these coincidences are always intelligent and shaping my life for the best.
    Are mere coincidences not really coincidences in pure consciousness? Are these experiences some kind of hints from the conscious universe? If yes, according to you, does this open doors to understanding the cosmic mind?

Your answer would mean a lot to me.

Thank you
    Love,
    Shivansh Mahajan

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #5514 Score: 1

Aurora Carlson
    Keymaster
    110 votes
    @aurorac

Hello @shivansh, a warm welcome to the YATU forum! 🙂

Thank you for your beautiful question! I think these are amazing insights you already have, congrats!
    To me, these instances of increased or continuous synchronicity are hints that I am on the right track, meaning that I am in a state of consciousness close, very close, or completely open to it’s own reality.

What is your take on this, YATU friends?

• #5656 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
    Keymaster
    110 votes
    @aurorac

Note to all YATU members! 🙂
    We have a new system for submitting questions to the authors! We ask everyone to include the tag @question in their text from now on if they wish to file their question for submission to the authors. More info in our Support and Announcements forum: How to Submit a Question to the Authors

Thank you!

• #5776 Score: 1

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear Shivansh:

These so-called “coincidences” are not random. The term coincidence sort of implies that. Another similar term is synchronicity. I prefer that term as it means (from Greek) things occurring at same time. As there is only one element of time, the “Now”, synchronicity occurs everywhere and in all circumstances. However, most of us miss the synchronicity because we are wrapped up in our little, finite, human minds that perceive everything through our filters of limited knowledge. So you are indeed fortunate that you have the eye to see these occurrences, that you have the discriminatory eye (in Sanskrit discrimination of what is right is called vairagya and it is the most important characteristic of a true seeker).The message in all these experiences is the same, You Are That, Thou Art That or as we say in our book You Are the Universe. Don’t worry about not being able to decipher their direct implication, the meaning becomes obvious later on as you ponder such events. Plus, as you say, you may obtain mysterious solutions to certain problems or questions in your life. But you are also bring up another, most important point: That feeling of gratitude. It is gratitude that keeps us in touch with our true nature, That and which keeps increasing vairagya. Discrimination of what is right is tied to gratitude. What is “normal” experience after all? All experiences are experiences! The wisdom in each is Thou Art That. Meditation increases and focuses the power of clear mind (to see things).

Continue as you are, you are doing great! And the universe is indeed conscious universe. And You Are (that) Universe. The cosmic mind operates through your mind.

Love and respect,

Menas

• #5783 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Thank you for such a beautiful answer Menas! I especially like how you make it clear that “synchronicity occurs everywhere and in all circumstances. However, most of us miss the synchronicity because we are wrapped up in our little, finite, human minds”. It reminds me of Emily Dickinson’s verses:

Not “Revelation”-’tis- that waits
      But our unfurnished eyes.

How amazing that more and more people, like @shivansh, are becoming aware of the ongoing symphony!

• #5805 Score: 1

Shivansh Mahajan
      Participant
      9 votes
      @shivansh

@menask
      Thank you Dr. Kafatos for this lovely answer. I like the use of the word ‘synchronicity’ over ‘coincidence’ now.
      I definitely can relate when you say that the meanings of the coincidences become obvious later. It happens that way very often, which in fact motivates me to practice gratitude for my life. I’m glad to getting assured by you that these ‘experiences’ are ‘intelligent’ reflective of the conscious universe. Thank you so much. 😀

Shivansh.

• #5785 Score: 1

Deepak Chopra
    60 votes
    @deepakchopra

Dear Shivansh, thank you for your question! I too have answered in Readers Ask: What Are Meaningful Coincidences?

Thank you and lots of love!
    Deepak

• #5788 Score: 1

ziewatt
    Participant
    16 votes
    @ziewatt

I began to realise the coincidence of things in my life through a butterfly affect of synchronicity of numbers whuch follows me around a 333 then a 444 etc often usually cars in front of me. Often thus happens when I’ve asked the universe a question and by feeling the vibration of energy in numbers i feel a connection in return to something bigger than myself.Often coincidences occur and nuts looking for that synchronicity which make me realise the flow of energy to myself from the universe is at its best possible window of endless possibilities. But why do we have coincidences in life?

• #5799 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Hi @ziewatt , is this a question to the authors? I am not sure if you are simply sharing and reflecting or asking them a question. Let me know please 🙂 Also, for future questions it might be good to know that if you use @question somewhere in your text, it will make it much easier for us in the moderation team to not miss it. For more info check How to Submit a Question to the Authors. Thank you for your contribution to the YATU community!

• #5808 Score: 1

Shivansh Mahajan
      Participant
      9 votes
      @shivansh

@ziewatt

I am curious to know more about your experience. Can you elaborate a little on your coincidences with numbers?
      Also, in regard to your question, I wonder if it’s ‘life within coincidences’ rather than ‘coincidences in life’!

• #6444 Score: 0

Deepak Chopra
      60 votes
      @deepakchopra

Dear @ziewatt, thank you for your question! I have answered in Readers Ask: What Are Synchronicity and Good Luck?

Love,
      Deepak

• #5803 Score: 0

ziewatt
    Participant
    16 votes
    @ziewatt

It was a question

• #5809 Score: 2

ziewatt
    Participant
    16 votes
    @ziewatt

Thankyou for that posing thought Shivansh that life is within coincidences. The synchronicity of being. I have become more and more aware that I am creating this life here by my own projections that are within myself. This started a couple of years ago when I went on a journey of self discovery and decided I wanted to help people through art therapy. I left my place of living and moved to another city. It was around this time that I was asking my higher self about my calling or what to do and whether I was making the right choice of direction in my life. I started off by seeing 11.11 on my phone and clock everywhere this went on for a couple of weeks and it turned into 21.21 and 22.22 and then 23.23 this went on and on on my phone and clock and everywhere I went.
    I did end up moving cities and the number sequnces continued. And when I had a descion or something of significance that was happening the numbers would appear. usually on a car number plate ahead of me on the car in front and then my phone and then another car and another car plate etc. I have had it happen continually at times all day as I have travelled. Often a 666, then a 777 and a 888 or a 999.
    I moved back to the same city that I had come to and since I have begun asking similar questions within myself about my calling and following my heart over head I get number synchronicity happening again with car number plates in front of me as a I drive. There has been moments that I have thought is this all psychological am I creating this experience and wanting these numbers to appear? And there actually is a moment within myself that I ask for guidance and the sychronicity of numbers appears in front of me like a sign.

I have taken all this to deeply reassure me that I am indeed connecected to a higher divinness in the universe. If I take this a step further this is myself projecting out and confirming my inner state of consicouness out into the plane I am living in here, and perhaps giving me or allowing me to see that there is indeed sychronicity within my life and in all life. Which leads me back to what you have said about how life within coincidences.

This post has received 2 votes up.
    • #5816 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Thank you for sharing your story @ziewatt , I think that you touch on a very important aspect, namely that synchronicities are nudging us to, as you say, follow heart over head. Not random emotional impulses, but the deep guidance and wisdom we often sense through our heart.
      I also very much like the way you see it as circular, a dimension of the self projecting out and communicating with another dimension of the self. I think this and @shivansh ‘ thought of life within coincidences resonates beautifully with the ideas offered in You Are the Universe and the experience of sages who affirm that the synchronous realm of pure consciousness is what lies beyond and gives rise to all passing life stories. Following the guidance of synchronicity has to me been a way to realize that awareness itself is the only identity and reality.

Reading your story I found myself marvelling over the different ways synchronicity works for each of us. Numbers have never been prominent on my path, and it seems that for you, they are. For me it is most often about words or thoughts turning into matter. So interesting to notice that the guidance doesn’t come randomly or uniformly, it is always tailored in the best way to be noticed and understood by that particular person.

• #6729 Score: 0

Shivansh Mahajan
      Participant
      9 votes
      @shivansh

@ziewatt
      Hello again!
      I am so much mesmerized by your experiences. Sorry for being so late to respond. At first, after reading your story with numerical patterns, one may think of it as a hoax or an exaggeration. But I am not at all in that group. I can relate to your experiences so well, that I definitely believe these happening in your life. I am so happy that I’ve heard from someone like you about synchronicities that happen to me all the time. When you said that you think of a person and then meet him or her later that day, I can say that precisely similar experiences happen with me as well. Few months back, I was anxious about productively spending my summer after the freshman year in college. I was seeking a summer research opportunity. So I thought of asking my research professor, in whose biochemistry research lab I was working since 3 months from then as an undergraduate researcher. Now considering the fact that I often tend to overthink and worry myself, I was really uneasy those days. But I constantly reminded myself to be hopeful and to embrace the wisdom of uncertainty. Then one day, when I came back from winter break, at the end of the very first day of work in my lab, my professor himself asked me what I planned to do over in summer. I was a bit startled in that moment, and I hesitantly said- I am thinking to find a research opportunity. And my professor instantly asked me to apply to a summer team research project in his lab, that would pay me a scholarship and he would right away take me on his team. I was so delighted that day. More than being able to find a summer research opportunity, I was surprised by this yet another phenomenon of coincidence (or as I would call it now- Synchronicity)- a big one this time! These days I am happily working on this research project.
      So Suzie, even I think of these experiences as a sign of connecting to my deeper true self, and creating my own life myself. These are qualities of ‘awarefulness’, as Dr.Chopra always says. And even if we are connected to that conscious core, it would take a lot of compassion and devotion to reach that ultimate conscious self where there is no struggle. I can understand how confusing it can get when we think about being connected and still not being connected. On such occasions, I just remind myself that I don’t need to overthink because ‘thinking’ with my ‘human brain’ is unlikely to lead me to spiritual wisdom. What we need is the ‘cosmic brain’- what we essentially ARE.
      Dr.Chopra and Dr.Kafatos have beautifully discussed this in the book.

Thank you 🙂

• #5817 Score: 1

ziewatt
    Participant
    16 votes
    @ziewatt

It is interesting this has happened over the last few years, I never saw numbers in a particular way before although I was always aware of energy and vibration of numbers and like thoughts they have energy and vibration such as we attract what we put out often and this manifest into a physical experience, and not always how we envisage. The numbers to me represent energy and vibration, and seem to be insync often with how or what Iam thinking as a thought in my day. Earlier in my life I played the piano and have sung also my whole life so I have known and felt that music also has an energy and vibrational connection to a spiritual realm connected also to frequency and vibrational atunement in notes and numbers while also connecting with colour. I used to see people as a type of colour and as a note from the scale and such as a g major with a green hue, growing up and I lost this ability to feel and see what a persons vibrational quality was.

• #5818 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Yes Ziewatt, it’s interesting that it can change, though it seems that for you it has always been the energy/vibration behind the signs that has been the actual guidance. I guess there is so much to be discovered and experienced! 🙂

• #6432 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear @ziewatt

The “coincidences” you refer to are occurring all the time. It is just that people miss them or do not have the knowledge to see them. You are observant enough to see them. Numbers are the “stuff” of the universe. The ancient Greeks were saying that “God geometrizes”, seeing the prevalence of mathematical structure in the cosmos. Numbers allow us to see the structure everywhere.

There are hidden regularities in numbers and sequences of numbers. So the coincidences you mention are another way to state how the second law we describe in YATU, “as above, so below”, works through numbers. And you can find out how they apply to your life.

Keep looking, you are on the right path, you will make many discoveries in your life that will keep amazing you.

love and respect,

Menas

• #6438 Score: 1

ziewatt
    Participant
    16 votes
    @ziewatt

Thank you for your reply, Menas.
    I have for a long time observed how nature reflects the patterns of geometry and there is a certain balance within patterns that I see through these geometry patterns in nature. When looking at a flower there is symmetry and even a huge cluster of ants roaming around has a purpose and order to it, there is chaos and yet complete wholeness when observing these things in nature. Sometimes I witness a bird flying and diving into the sea, what seems like a complete chaotic mess is actually an amazing part of the whole, a bird dives with such skill and ability that it is part of the design of the whole, the bird may or may not get its prey but it is all part of the whole. When you mention “As above so below” it does seem to, that there is a completeness and wholeness in our living here reflected in nature that is also a reflection of the universe as a whole.
    Going back to the numbers and sequences I experience, whether I want to see them or not, they appear like a sign, its remarkable, if its not numbers it would be people that I think about and then bump into, this seems to be synchronicity, the more I think about it. I think there is a synchronicity and energy that acknowledges that I am working in tune with myself within the universe. I have no other way to explain why I would be thinking about someone and then see them within a day. Sometimes I feel like I am creating my life, and that there is only the now of me creating at every turn and then I think, but is there anything that is pre-ordained and what am I doing? If I am creating the here and now of my life why is there struggle? Sometimes I get in the flow of life and know intuitively why I am here and I remember an inner part of me that has a higher calling, but then this gets thrown off course by what seems to be a part of myself that likes to change direction which then causes greater confusion with my life and journey. I realise part of growth is challenges and experiences, but the more I realise we create our own experiences and realities I wonder why it takes so long to come back to ones self. Why is this? Why do we have duality? here on this plane of existence?

• #6529 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear @ziewatt:

(continuing the previous points and what you write here:) “I realise part of growth is challenges and experiences, but the more I realise we create our own experiences and realities I wonder why it takes so long to come back to ones self. Why is this? Why do we have duality? here on this plane of existence?”

How long it takes is relative, no? A fruit may take weeks to ripen. Would it accelerate things if we kept thinking “why doesn’t the fruit ripen sooner?”

Now the question of why we have duality, sounds like you view duality as something bad. Duality is neither good nor bad. Duality just is! The infinite potential of Existence contains everything, all dualities, or relationships. Seeing duality as part part and parcel of Unity, allows us to go beyond duality. Beyond good and evil, so to speak.

Love and gratitude,

Menas

• #6565 Score: 0

ziewatt
    Participant
    16 votes
    @ziewatt

Dear Menas,

Thank you for your reply,

I have been thinking more about unity, and duality and how they can both exist. I never really thought about how there may be duality in the universe as a part of the makeup of all that is. But it does make more sense to see that one can’t be without the other. And going beyond this is something I need to explore. Thankyou

namaste,

Suzie

• #6579 Score: 0

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Dear Suzie:

You may want to look more into Kashmir Saivism. It is a very practical and at the same profound philosophical system which without denying the universe as something “illusory”, it takes it as real, being part of universal Consciousness, the ever blissful Siva. Sakti, the manifested part of Siva, is everything we experience. According to Swami Lakshmanjoo, Siva is the Subject. And there is only one Subject. The equivalent in QM, the mysterious “observer”.

Love and blessings,

Menas

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X