This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Deepak Chopra 3 years ago.

• Author

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

Menas Kafatos

Question to Menas Kafatos:

Dear Menas,

What did you mean when you wrote “For as long as a person is alive, he or she is ‘creating’ time; we never run out”? Could you please expand?

Answer:

We create time as time is an experience. This is the meaning of what we wrote. Time is tied to the mind, they go closely together. Therefore, time is not universal, except a clock time agreed by all observers, and that is the evolution of the universe.

Love,
    Menas

This post has received 1 vote up.
  • #4963 Score: 0

Ana Sanjuan
    Participant
    11 votes
    @anitasanjuan

Oh I see!

So time is not a universal experience- we each experience time differently based on our state of consciousness. I never thought about it that way.

So just like there is no one personal experience shared by everyone– because we are all taking in our experiences through our personal lens, bias, awareness, etc.– so too, there is no one experience of time, except through a commonly agreed on tool for tracking time, the clock.

But tracking of time is different than experiencing time.

Wow! That opens up a whole world!

Thank you Menas!

• #5296 Score: 2

Cosmicsoul
    Participant
    2 votes
    @cosmicsoul

Hi All,
    My understanding is that the illusion of time comes from the illusion of the movement/experienced motion of objects (though all objects just wink in and out and there is no real motion). My question is why the illusion in the first place? Thanks

This post has received 2 votes up.
  • #5606 Score: 1

Menas Kafatos
    41 votes
    @menask

@cosmicsoul:

The illusion is “the passage of linear time”. What we have is occurences in Awareness. It is all experiences. Then the mind puts together a continuity, connecting the dots so to speak. How would a fish that lives in the depths of the ocean experience time, never having seen the light of the Sun? It is regularities in patterns that we experience and we call them passage of time. Of course somebody may object: Isn’t the body changing therefore time is passing? Well, what is happening is changes in the body. And we associate changes with an arrow of time.

We should learn to speak precisely about our experiences, rather than follow customs that we have inherited.

• #6566 Score: 2

ziewatt
    Participant
    16 votes
    @ziewatt

Dear Menas,

About three years ago I experience a strange occurrence which made me question time. I travelled to a place in the North Island of New Zealand to a place I had lived about 8 years before. On going into a particular shop I suddenly got this strange feeling that I hadn’t been away at all from this place. It actually felt like time had not moved at all. Here I was 8 years down the track in the same shop and it felt so weird. Like I had jumped through a time warp and literally was in the same spot I was 8 years ago. Then Later that year I returned back to the South Island of New Zealand and again felt as if time had not moved it was all just going along and it really felt like I had moved in this whole thing and the places had kind of not moved. Its a very hard concept for me to explain.

I am trying to figure this out logically however feeling like I moved through some sort of time warp is strange when you travel back to a place you have lived.

My question is: Is time the reality, or am I the reality experiencing time?

Thank you

Suzie

This post has received 2 votes up.
    • #6571 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Dear Suzie ( @ ziewatt ) , if you have questions to the authors please make sure you add @question somewhere in your text. The authors can’t always keep up with all that is happening on the forum and it is we in the moderation team who make it possible for them to not miss anyone’s question. Using @question in your text assures that your question will be placed on the list and reach the authors, along with the entire context of the discussion. For more info see How to Submit a Question to the Authors in our Support and Announcements forum.

Thank you so much for your kind cooperation, we all appreciate your participation in the forum and in the collective expansion of consciousness!

• #6896 Score: 0

Deepak Chopra
      60 votes
      @deepakchopra

Dear Suzie ( @ziewatt ), thank you for your question! I have answered in Readers Ask: Am I the Reality Experiencing Time?

Love,
      Deepak

• #6573 Score: 1

ziewatt
    Participant
    16 votes
    @ziewatt

Hi Aurora,

sorry my questions is @question @ziewatt :Is time the reality, or am I the reality experiencing time?

Thank you
    Suzie

• #6574 Score: 0

Aurora Carlson
      Keymaster
      110 votes
      @aurorac

Thanks Suzie, I did get this one, it’s a beautiful question and we will all be enriched by the discussion around it!
      Much love!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

X